Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fumes from ma!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Fumes from ma!!!

Accidentally, breathed fumes from MA. Headache ever since? No coughing now little at first. ?? Burning a little on one side of my noise, all the way up into my head left side only? I think I'm OK. ??
    Everything INTEX, 20 x 48 , AG, 8362 gal. although its only 90%full. well water, pump 2500gph intex, bleach 8.25, and Taylor test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fumes from ma!!!

Oh my. So many variables to consider there (amount of intake, personal history, etc), and it's really not our place to advise medically other than to say if you believe you injured yourself in any capacity while working on your pool, by all means seek medical attention. Your health is number one! Please let us know how things turn-out. Certainly hope you feel better soon geegaw. Very sorry to hear that news.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks , I think I'm OK, just headache and burning a little bit in sinuse on left side. I did not get much. Wind shifted on me. Gonna rest and take alive.
    Everything INTEX, 20 x 48 , AG, 8362 gal. although its only 90%full. well water, pump 2500gph intex, bleach 8.25, and Taylor test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

That stuff is nasty. I've had it hit me too and had to think twice about taking my next breath. I'm glad you are doing ok. If in doubt though, take care of yourself first and see an expert. You may also want to check the bottle for a contact the number in case they have customer representative who may have some specific safety information for you to consider. Just a thought. Rest and get well for us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

TY! After storm came in, so far 4 1/2" of rain in and hour!!!! Pool is running over now!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

What? Send that rain down here to San Antonio!

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with the general sentiment - if you feel sickened by it and symptoms persist, the appropriate course of action is to see your doctor or local urgent care facility. No one on TFP can or should give medical advice (unless they are a doctor and even then it's not advisable) and no one should ever seek urgent care from the Internet.

One thing to remember is that the odor threshold for MA is very low, ~ 2-5ppm. The threshold at which actual physical harm is measured for MA is typically in minutes (30min or 1-hr continuos exposure) and at concentration very much higher than the odor threshold (100's to 1000's of ppm). So, a brief exposure to MA fumes in an open outdoor environment with fresh air has a low probability of causing any harm. That's not to say you still won't get some lingering effect like stinging mucous membranes or a headache, just that your chances of developing any chronic harm are quite low.

I've whiffed more than enough acid vapor in my previous work life and I certainly don't like the smell of MA. But it's probably the least harmful chemical I have ever been exposed to. I actually find ammonia based household cleaners and lye-based oven cleaners (Easy-Off, etc) to be way more irritating to work with and those are marketed for indoor use!!

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks your right. But I am fine I believe. But thank you very much. Everyone here are very nice, smart and very helpful. If I need med. Att I'll go. Just sharing.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you think I should (when rain stops) drain pool back to normal 41"?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by geegaw View Post
    Do you think I should (when rain stops) drain pool back to normal 41"?
    Yes. And remember, all that water you are pumping out is taking your chemicals with it.

If it overflowed for a while and you also have to pump more out do a complete battery of tests including CYA to see where you stand.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Okie-dokie thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

I would head over to an ear, nose and throat doctor just to check it out. That's their specialty. Inflammation could lead to other things, like an infection. A sinus infection almost killed me when I was a kid, and put me in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks.

I got muriatic acid fumes in my eyes a few weeks ago, and burned the outer layer. I had a respirator on, which didn't help me avoid the fumes for my eyes. The doctor gave me some drops to use for a week. Not fun. I wear air tight goggles now, and the respirator. I also be sure I am perpendicular to the wind now, although that's no guaranty, since wind can shift. I definitely keep it at arms distance. You just can't win with that stuff.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Michael,
    But other than slight headache I'm really OK.
    But you're right, those fumes are awful!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tim. All is better now. The advice TFP gives us awesome!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Being able to smell the fumes and notice the irritation has a plus side in that it has you pull away from those fumes making it less likely for them to linger near your eyes. So as Michael noted, if one goes the route of using a respirator, they must use full-face protection to include their eyes. If not using a respirator, then safety goggles are recommended since splashing acid into the eyes can lead to blindness.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

This is true. Thank you!!