Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto cover question

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto cover question

We are having an auto cover installed in the next couple of weeks. The track is on top of the pool lip, underneath the coping stones, which puts it about six inches above the water level.

Is it necessary to have everything out of the water when I close the cover? I would like to leave a wireless floating thermometer in the water if I can - it sticks up out of the water about an inch to an inch and a half. What about anything else that might be floating in the pool?
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto cover question

The cover itself floats on the water so it will drag anything loose with it as it closes to the end of the pool, if you are OK with your wireless thermometer always being against the one side of the pool where there probably will be space for it to float or possibly held completely underwater if it doesn't get pushed all the way to the end I would think that would be OK as far as the cover goes. We've closed the cover over a dividing rope with buoys on it and it does close over that without problems. We also almost always close the cover with the pool cleaner in there, and most of it's hose floats on the surface. It pulls any free hose around as you open and close the cover but doesn't cause any problems.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Auto cover question

Thanks! That helps a lot.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.