Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I Get Your Opinion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I Get Your Opinion?

Hi there,

We're about to sign a contract for 450 sf curvy concrete pool (gulp) after meeting with 5 different PB's and I was hoping to hear from you if this combination of finishes will work. We're hoping to create a very organic looking pool nestled in gardens.

I'm not 100% sure what stone and color this coping is? I think I may be limited to tumbled bluestone, full range of colors within.

waterline tile, plaster, accent tiles w gray grout on steps and sun shelf

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I Get Your Opinion?

Here's a picture of full range bluestone:

3. Back To Top    #3

Whatever it is, it's down-right gorgeous.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

The colors look fantastic. If your pool is a salt pool, my basic understanding is that flagstone might not be a good material to choose! I wish I had a bit of extra money to put the tiling on the steps into the pool - looks great!
    17'x32', 14.6K Gal Salt IG FreeForm, 7' Spa, PebbleTec Mini-White, Jandy 2HP VS, Fusion Soft Salt Chlorinator, Raypak 400K BTU Heater, Zodiac TR2D

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks good! We have a natural pool in the woods if you want to look at more pool pics. And who doesn't??? Pics in build thread in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by smartypants1000 View Post
    The colors look fantastic. If your pool is a salt pool, my basic understanding is that flagstone might not be a good material to choose! I wish I had a bit of extra money to put the tiling on the steps into the pool - looks great!
    The OP is from MD where the local flagstone is PA bluestone which is quite dense, so no problem to have around SWCG's. We have it as our coping. Would have been great (though quite hot - hotter than stamped concrete) to have as our decking.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    The OP is from MD where the local flagstone is PA bluestone which is quite dense, so no problem to have around SWCG's. We have it as our coping. Would have been great (though quite hot - hotter than stamped concrete) to have as our decking.
    That is really good to know! Bluestone is a very common coping treatment here -- off to recheck your coping -- as I recall, you did a concrete treatment that is right in line with the variegated colors that appeal to me most. I know we've "cyber-talked" about this before, but who did that work for you??

Just went back and reviewed and oh yes - you ARE the poster with the amazing concrete work! Can you please pm your contractor?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smartypants1000 View Post
    Well, you get 6 linear feet for every tile, which makes it more affordable?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Looks good! We have a natural pool in the woods if you want to look at more pool pics. And who doesn't??? Pics in build thread in sig.
    haha - understatement of the year, I must have pictures of a thousand pool pictures in my laptop. Your pool is right-in-line with where we are going, but in a garden setting verses a wooded setting!