Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair dynamo motor bearings

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair dynamo motor bearings

Hi all.
    I have a pentair Dynamo 1 hp pump, and the motor is sqalling. Mainly after it's been off for a while and I re-start it and it go's away after it runs awhile. I was wondering if anyone knew if the bearings could be replaced in the motor. I checked to see how much a new motor costs and I might as well by a whole new pump. But if the bearings are replaceable it would save me a bundle! Thanks.
    21 ft agp, 1 Hp Pentair Dynamo pump, Pentair sand dollar filter with Intex Swg.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair dynamo motor bearings

Most generally, the bearings can be replaced. You can do this yourself. You may need to open the motor up to find the bearing stock numbers if you can't find that info in other ways.

While you are searching for the bearings, you should also look for a seal kit for your pump. Cheap insurance to replace the seal and o-rings while you have the pump apart.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

The bearings can be replaced and as Charlie said it's a very good idea to go ahead and replace the shaft seal.
    I believe that the bearings are #6203 on both ends. You probably want to check to be sure.
    The shaft seal should be a PS-200.

Most pool stores should have the bearings and seal in stock. You can also find them at most bearing supply houses.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to everyone. I was hoping that was the case. Where I work we replace motor bearings alot. just some electric motors are sealed and was hoping someone knew before I tore it apart for no reason. Also thanks for the tip on the seals. Didn't think of that.
    By the way rambler. Where in alabama are you from. I have kin around the Foley, Gulf Shores area.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm north of Mobile. My sister and mother live near Foley. I also have other kin that live in that area.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thats a nice area. We usally get down there about once a year or so. just there the last week in july.