Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: white pebbles in my pump basket

1. Back To Top    #1

white pebbles in my pump basket

I noticed that I have some type of white pebbles in my pump basket that I've never seen before. The only difference between this year and previous years is that I've added salt (2000ppm) this year. All of my numbers are in range. Could they be made of salt?

White Pebbles.

Numbers:

FC: 5
    CC: 0.5
    CYA: 40
    TA: 60
    PH: 7.5
    CH: 70
    SALT: 1,600

I'm using the Taylor K-1766 for salt testing.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: white pebbles in my pump basket

That site won't let me see the pic. No, salt dissolves in water.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks to me like you have someone tampering with your pool. That or you have the largest scale/calcium build up balls I have ever seen

Do they break apart easily when you try to crush them in your fingers? Or are they real rocks? What do they smell and taste like? (don't eat one just taste it)
    My AG Frankenpool 16' / 6,041g
    Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Hayward 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix 1.5HP Pump
    Pentair 320 In-Line Chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

Any young kids playing in the yard unsupervised? Those sure look like rocks to me. Too big to be salt crystals or calcium scales. Weird, huh?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

The rocks are hard and I cannot crush them with my fingers. I didn't think of tasting them, I will do that when I get home tonight. Can't do that in front of my wife, then she will know I have definitely gone insane! The strange thing is that I don't have rocks like this in my backyard and this has never happened before.

Two things that came to mind since my first post: 1) Not sure if this would be related, but I had a new liner and heater installed in early June and 2) that would have been the last time my pump basket was opened.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like crushed rock that's often used for drainage and backfill. I had them in my basket too after the pool build, but the only way they can get in there is vacuuming to waste. Because the bottom drain cover and skimmer basket aren't going to let rocks that big through. So, have you been vacuuming to waste? If so, you would have picked them up off the pool floor. Otherwise, I don't see how they would have gone through the skimmer or bottom drain.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Anytime you have major work done on a pool, there is always a chance that 'crud' gets into your pipes in one way or another.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

Tasting an unknown substance might not be the best idea. In any case, they look like white rocks to me as well.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

9. Back To Top    #9

I clicked it and saw the pic this time. That is definitely drainage rock. It must have fallen into an open pipe during construction and just got flushed out recently for some reason.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

They look like the white landscaping rocks from Home Depot. I use them to keep cats from doing their business in potted plants.
    26K In ground Gunite w/pebble tech. Jandy/Zodiac SWG, 4 Cartridge Filter System & Paramount PCC 2000 Floor Cleaner, well water auto fill

11. Back To Top    #11

For those of you that recommended NOT to taste it, well, too late, but at least I'm still here and they just tasted like rocks

I have Zodiac MX-8 which is a suction robot. I wonder if those rocks were on the pool floor when the liner was installed and were sucked when I ran the robot and have been there for the last couple of months. Sounds reasonable to me.

I will come back to this thead if they come back but for now....thanks as usual!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post
    For those of you that recommended NOT to taste it, well, too late, but at least I'm still here and they just tasted like rocks
    LOL!!! Not your first time, huh?
    TFP Moderator