Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get the chlorine up

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get the chlorine up

Huge storms passed through. Chlorine is 1.5. SWG. CYA is 55. PH good. Salt good now. Added cya and had pumping running 24/7 like bottle said for 2 days. Bleach I put in is gone. Used super chlorinate twice.

Worried abiut out getting mold. Have test kit TFP 100

please advise !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get the chlorine up

Was your CYA 55 before or after you put in (more)CYA? How exactly did you add this CYA? Hopefully in a sock placed in the skimmer or hung over the edge of the pool near a return to agitate it enough to help it dissolve.

Stop running your SWG at super-blast if you want it to last longer. Use liquid chlorine/household bleach to get your FC level up there. For a CYA level of 60 (you always round up) you need a minimum of 3ppm, 4 being ideal and 24 to SLAM. Mo'better would be if you raised your CYA to 70 and kept the FC at a min of 3, ideal 5, SLAM 28.

How does your water look?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA was 40 before adding.

water is clear but a hair shy of cryatal if that makes ense.

Siper chlor has has been off and set to SWC is set at 55%

Pooured bleached saturday, spiked and it disappeared .

tihe Taylor K1000 for ph and chl shows 3.5! How can that be?? Need to order more product for or TFP test it....

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you are right on the edge of an algae bloom and it is consuming your chlorine quickly. Raise your FC to 10 and keep it there for a few days. Test and add several times per day. Might be time to SLAM. It is important not to let your chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA or algae will grow. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

pooldv is right, you might be on the edge of algae bloom. It started like that a week ago and then I had to SLAM it over the weekend when I realized that it is too late. You should SLAM right away!
    Kyle. I manage a residential complex and taking care of the swimming pool is one of my duties. It is an indoor, 36 000 gallons (140 000 liters), Marbelite, heated pool, with sand filter, and Jacuzzi 1.5 HP pump. Normally I aim to keep the following chemical composure in the pool: FC = 1.5 - 2.5; PH = 7.4 - 7.6; TA = 80 - 90; CH = 200 - 300; Saturation Index = 0.0 - +0.2 Testing Kit: Taylor K-2006