Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi,

My pool builder is planning on plastering our pool soon. I haven't had the best experience with this PB, so I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered, just to double check the info he's giving me:

- I live in NJ and the average temp over the next week is going to be a high of anywhere from 85 to 93, depending on the day. My PB said that if the temp is over 85 we should fill the pool as quickly as possible with water. They're recommending that we hire a bulk water delivery service and have them start filling the pool as soon as the plaster is done (the same day), instead of slowing doing it with a garden hose. Is filling the plaster with water right away the way to go?

- He also said that if it's over 85 the day that they plaster, I should take a hose and spray the sides of the pool even now and then as it's getting filled, to keep the plaster on the walls cool. Is that okay to do that to fresh plaster? I haven't heard of doing that, as the stuff I've read always says to just fill it from the bottom up. He said that the plaster can start dripping if it's too hot.

- We've already waited a while for the pool to be completed, so I was wondering if anyone thinks we should just wait a couple of weeks longer for them to plaster, so that the temp gets lower...if I wait until mid-September we'll probably be in the upper 70's. As much as I'd like to get some swimming in the pool this year, I'd rather make sure the plaster is installed right. I'm sure the PB just wants to be done with the project and get his balance.

Not sure if this matters, but I'm getting Ansylbrite Quartz Finish plaster.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

My pool is 40000 gallons and it cost me about $250 to fill the pool with town water. Had I trucked in water I think it may have cost me at least $2000 more. You should consider that in making your decision. hopefully others can help you understand whether it would be better to wait until it cools down- I don't know.

A 35k gallon pool is not going to be filled with one water truck....more like three trucks and that probably will not fill the pool all the way. And trucked water is way more expensive.

As to the plaster concerns, yes you need to fill it right away when the temps are high. As the plaster cures, if the surface gets too dry, it can crack like an eggshell. Fill water helps to moderate both the surface temperature of the plaster and its rate of curing. And, if the temps are high, you do need to wet the walls as the pool fills.

Is your spigot water well water or municipal water? How many hoses can you get into the pool? What method of plaster startup does your PB intend to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grottoguy - I was quoted $375/truck for the bulk delivery. I'm not sure how many gallons each load is though...someone told me 5k, or 6k gallons. I can fill the pool with the hose from my house, but the PB is saying that doing so could take 3 days and I'd risk ruining the plaster by waiting so long to fill it.

JoyfulNoise - Okay - thanks for letting me know about wetting the walls being alright to do. Our spigot water is municipal. I can get 2 hoses into the pool. Being a total newbie at this, I wasn't sure what you meant about plaster startup...but after reading some of the paperwork they gave me, I think they're using Jack's Magic - does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

Trucking companys in our area charge $300/16,000 gal load for municipal water. The truck will unload in less than 1 hour.

That sounds a lot less expensive than over here. Any chance you know the company's name that has that rate? I'm probably too far for them in central NJ though.

At $375 for 5000 gallons your price would be about $2000 more than filling it from municipal water. I filled it with two hoses for 3/4 of the fill and it took me less slightly less than two days. After the first day I switched to one hose overnight because I wanted to make sure it didn't overflow while I was sleeping so I'm not sure of how long it would have taken had I not done that but I estimated somewhere about a day and a half. My two hoses came from different parts of the house. I'm not sure if the two hoses simply came from the same spigot (using a tee) whether the water flow would be double or is each hose would produce less water than if used separately. But if your water is coming from two hose bibs then I would think it would take you no more than 1.5 days to fill your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.