Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Questions

Hi,

My pool builder is planning on plastering our pool soon. I haven't had the best experience with this PB, so I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered, just to double check the info he's giving me:

- I live in NJ and the average temp over the next week is going to be a high of anywhere from 85 to 93, depending on the day. My PB said that if the temp is over 85 we should fill the pool as quickly as possible with water. They're recommending that we hire a bulk water delivery service and have them start filling the pool as soon as the plaster is done (the same day), instead of slowing doing it with a garden hose. Is filling the plaster with water right away the way to go?

- He also said that if it's over 85 the day that they plaster, I should take a hose and spray the sides of the pool even now and then as it's getting filled, to keep the plaster on the walls cool. Is that okay to do that to fresh plaster? I haven't heard of doing that, as the stuff I've read always says to just fill it from the bottom up. He said that the plaster can start dripping if it's too hot.

- We've already waited a while for the pool to be completed, so I was wondering if anyone thinks we should just wait a couple of weeks longer for them to plaster, so that the temp gets lower...if I wait until mid-September we'll probably be in the upper 70's. As much as I'd like to get some swimming in the pool this year, I'd rather make sure the plaster is installed right. I'm sure the PB just wants to be done with the project and get his balance.

Not sure if this matters, but I'm getting Ansylbrite Quartz Finish plaster.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Questions

My pool is 40000 gallons and it cost me about $250 to fill the pool with town water. Had I trucked in water I think it may have cost me at least $2000 more. You should consider that in making your decision. hopefully others can help you understand whether it would be better to wait until it cools down- I don't know.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

3. Back To Top    #3

A 35k gallon pool is not going to be filled with one water truck....more like three trucks and that probably will not fill the pool all the way. And trucked water is way more expensive.

As to the plaster concerns, yes you need to fill it right away when the temps are high. As the plaster cures, if the surface gets too dry, it can crack like an eggshell. Fill water helps to moderate both the surface temperature of the plaster and its rate of curing. And, if the temps are high, you do need to wet the walls as the pool fills.

Is your spigot water well water or municipal water? How many hoses can you get into the pool? What method of plaster startup does your PB intend to use?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Trucking companys in our area charge $300/16,000 gal load for municipal water. The truck will unload in less than 1 hour.

5. Back To Top    #5

grottoguy - I was quoted $375/truck for the bulk delivery. I'm not sure how many gallons each load is though...someone told me 5k, or 6k gallons. I can fill the pool with the hose from my house, but the PB is saying that doing so could take 3 days and I'd risk ruining the plaster by waiting so long to fill it.

JoyfulNoise - Okay - thanks for letting me know about wetting the walls being alright to do. Our spigot water is municipal. I can get 2 hoses into the pool. Being a total newbie at this, I wasn't sure what you meant about plaster startup...but after reading some of the paperwork they gave me, I think they're using Jack's Magic - does that make sense?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vermaraj View Post
    Trucking companys in our area charge $300/16,000 gal load for municipal water. The truck will unload in less than 1 hour.
    That sounds a lot less expensive than over here. Any chance you know the company's name that has that rate? I'm probably too far for them in central NJ though.
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

See plaster startup options HERE.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    See plaster startup options HERE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very helpful, thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

And a truck won't carry more than about 5000 gallons at a time.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

At $375 for 5000 gallons your price would be about $2000 more than filling it from municipal water. I filled it with two hoses for 3/4 of the fill and it took me less slightly less than two days. After the first day I switched to one hose overnight because I wanted to make sure it didn't overflow while I was sleeping so I'm not sure of how long it would have taken had I not done that but I estimated somewhere about a day and a half. My two hoses came from different parts of the house. I'm not sure if the two hoses simply came from the same spigot (using a tee) whether the water flow would be double or is each hose would produce less water than if used separately. But if your water is coming from two hose bibs then I would think it would take you no more than 1.5 days to fill your pool.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

10. Back To Top    #10

How about offering a nice neighbor or two $100 bucks for the use of their house water to toss more hoses in at one time?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like we get to fill ours this afternoon. We will be using our well a d my brothers for a faster fill.

Built Aug 2015- 20x40 26000 Gallon free form gunite, White plaster w/ 50% blue quartz, 2hp Jandy Stealth, Polaris 280, 2 skimmers,2 floor drains, 5 returns, bubbler, Grotto waterfall. 2 24" sheer decents, Jandy 48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG, 2 Color changing led