Calling all Canadians!

I am interested to know what you are using to Chlorinate your pool. I am having a real hard time determining what the concentration is on the million different kinds of bleach. So far Purox seems to be the best bet for me, but I would like to know what other options are out there.

Liquid chlorine sold in pool stores or hardware stores with seasonal departments are all the same at 10.8%. 5 Liters is usually 4.99 or 5.99; more rarely 3.99. Remember when maintaining a seasonal pool, it is often cheaper to use cal-h
ypo at 65% or 70%.

Liquid chlorine sold in pool stores or hardware stores with seasonal departments are all the same at 10.8%. 5 Liters is usually 4.99 or 5.99; more rarely 3.99. Remember when maintaining a seasonal pool, it is often cheaper to use cal-h
ypo at 65% or 70%.
As stated per Eauclaire. Cheapest to use calcium hypochlorite for seasonal pools. Best deals for Canadians is the HTH 18kg 70% bucket found at Costco.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Why does it make sense to use calcium hypochlorite for seasonal but not all year pools? And I still say SWCG is best!

Why does it make sense to use calcium hypochlorite for seasonal but not all year pools? And I still say SWCG is best!

In a seasonal pool you would most likely be dumping the water and storing the pool, so the calcium wouldn't build up to a really high level. In a permanent pool the calcium would soon be too high and some water would have to be dumped to keep it in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wayner, in seasonal pools, there is a bi annual drawdown of pool water; one in the autumn and another in the Spring, which dilutes the calcium hardness acquired through cal hypo additions over the previous swimming season. As pointed out by others here, prolonged use of cal hypo with no seasonal water replacement leads to elevated hardness and the possibility of scaling, so liquid chlorine is preferred. SWCG is perhaps more 'maintenance-free', during routine chlorination, but I don't see too many advantages due to our short swimming season, compared to SWCG running year round.

Ok,I wasn't aware of the calcium issue. The biggest advantage of SWCG is the vastly reduced regular maintenance. Once you get your salt and CYA levels right in the spring you are good. You may not have to add anything for the balance of the season. No dumping chlorine liquid or solids. Way easier. Nothing else to buy, no chemicals to touch. What's not to like?

A city of Toronto bylaw forbids discharging salt water pools into the storm drainage system, you have to use your own connection to the sanitary system, is that what you do?
Also if your pool structure is aluminium, are you not concerned about accelerated corrosion of the support structure?

I have a vinyl in-ground pool - I don't know what the support structure is made of but I haven't had any issues in the 8-9 years since I had the pool built.

In Ontario, the best source I've found for liquid chlorine is Pioneer Pools. $5.99 for 10 litres of 11%. Sometimes it's on sale for $4.99. As for SWG pools, I've never heard of any restrictions on backwashing into the storms. With all the salt dumped on the roads in the winter it's hard to see how a smidgen more in the summer can be a problem. I'm not a SWG fan because I just prefer fresh water to salty. I also worry about corrosion after seeing the rust on the walls of my neighbour's SWG pool after only 8 years. That said, there's no question that it's the easiest way to chlorinate.

Swg in montreal as well. I usually use 4-5 bags a year. Costco sells them for 6.99 each. Keeping my CYA at 70-80 works fine for me. Used Cal-Hypo for a one tine SLAM at the beginning of the season since the SWG cant get up to the FC levels needed for the SLAM. Unfortunately, bleach is more expensive vs cal-hypo where I am.

Hi wayner. Yes, I agree. SWCG is indeed convenient. It's what I use as well. But I would never state that it's "the only way to go". There are frame corrosion issues to be aware of, bylaws for dumping of salt water, stone issues for inground pools, and the up-front cost is very high. It's not a one-size fit's all solution.

GC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.