Losing 3" of water each week

Jul 19, 2015
Pasadena, CA
Hi All. My friend's newly built pool is losing 3" of water each week and she's wondering if that's a sign of a problem, or could just be evaporation as her PB said. I told her I'd ask the good people on this forum for her. Our pool doesn't have water yet so I couldn't offer any first hand feedback, but I'm sure someone here would have some thoughts for her. She lives in Anaheim Hills, CA (Orange County, Southern California) in case that's important to consider the evaporation theory. Plus her pool is on the small side, I think something like 15' x 27'. Thank you.

That's quite a bit of water for a week but possible. Do a bucket test. Anchor a large bucket on the pool steps by putting a rock in the bottom of the bucket. Fill with water to match the level of the pool. Wait a week or a few days and compare the bucket water level with the pool. If they are still the same, no leak. If the pool level is lower, there is a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.