Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing 3" of water each week

1. Back To Top    #1

Pasadena, CA

Losing 3" of water each week

Hi All. My friend's newly built pool is losing 3" of water each week and she's wondering if that's a sign of a problem, or could just be evaporation as her PB said. I told her I'd ask the good people on this forum for her. Our pool doesn't have water yet so I couldn't offer any first hand feedback, but I'm sure someone here would have some thoughts for her. She lives in Anaheim Hills, CA (Orange County, Southern California) in case that's important to consider the evaporation theory. Plus her pool is on the small side, I think something like 15' x 27'. Thank you.
    Completed new pool & spa in Pasadena, CA Oct 2015
    14' x 25', raised bond beam for water feature
    deck jet, Baja step, 7'x7' spa
    Pentair equip, saltwater, EasyTouch remote system

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Losing 3" of water each week

That's quite a bit of water for a week but possible. Do a bucket test. Anchor a large bucket on the pool steps by putting a rock in the bottom of the bucket. Fill with water to match the level of the pool. Wait a week or a few days and compare the bucket water level with the pool. If they are still the same, no leak. If the pool level is lower, there is a leak.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons