Need recommendation for good custom winter cover

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
Hi All,
This site was a great help for us this year! One of the things we've been trying to figure out is what to do for a winter cover. The cover that was on the pool when we bought the house was long past due for replacement.

I don't have any interest in talking to the "poolguy" that we started with. I found several online places that advertised, but never responded to my request for quote..

If possible I'd like a mesh safety cover for <$1k. Our infamous "poolguy" said that covers run $2500-5k but I was seeing some for much less online (from the places that never respond) Is my budget unrealistic, or are there quality options?

It is a very unusual shape, as such will need to be custom

pool.jpg

I would say under $1k is going to be tough to find. One of our recent custom quotes was for a pool that was 25' by 10' and very roughly the same shape as yours, the basic mesh option came out to be around $1200. IMO that would probably be the minimum price you are looking at. Then depending on brand, warranty, etc...a range of $1200-$1500 would be a good bet.

If that's correct, then what's another option?

We've still got our old house for sale and $1,500 isn't likely to be in the budget.. Our pool is almost double the size you mention.

I had talked to someone at work who got one for around $500, but couldn't remember where from, though he has a rectangular pool so that may be a big difference..

Your co-worker's rectangular pool probably fits a generic shape that was available, which can save on the cost quite a bit. Your shape unfortunately will have to be a custom safety cover.

Not sure if you are set on a Safety cover or not, but you could also consider a Winter cover instead. Winter cover's aren't anchored down and aren't as long-lasting and sturdy as a safety cover, but they can help to keep leaves etc. out of the pool. Safety vs. Winter cover will depend on what exactly you want to accomplish or prevent with the cover. Winter covers are much cheaper and can be found for $100-$200.

If a Safety cover is what you are requiring, then I would keep looking around for custom quotes, maybe you will be able to find a good price that is closer to your budget. There are a number of different brands out there, so you should have options.

I hope this helps!

You can get a standard solid cover with water pillows for much less than a safety cover. You could measure the size of rectangle you needed to cover the entire pool depending on the orientation of the rectangle and it would be pretty inexpensive (relative to a safety mesh custom cover) even for a 25' x 50' cover. It won't last long and they are a pain with the water pillows, pump cover etc. but it could get you by for a season or two until you can get a custom safety cover. To get a custom mesh safety cover for that shape pool, I would think you're looking at $1500+ for standard/economy material. I know for my basic 40x20 with center end steps it's about $1500 off the shelf but there's nothing custom about it.

Thanks for the responses and that's probably the path we will head down.. Problem with the tarp type is because of the shape of the pool about 50% of the rectangle just covers concrete.. And last year most of the water pillow things ended up in the pool and I used stakes and ratchet straps to hold it up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just for future planning can anyone recommend somewhere I can get an estimate from for a custom cover? I tried 2-3 online places and never got a response from any of them.

Regarding the basic winter covers, what's the purpose of the water bag things around the perimeter versus using rope/straps and pegs in the ground? Around here it seems that critters gnaw/claw through the water bags to get at the water in the winter, and about half of what we had last year ended up in the middle of the cover underwater rather than around the perimeter..

Why not just use straps?

I laid my solid cover on the pool, pressed it down into all the corners then tool a flat blade on a solder gun and 'melted' my way around the pool about 2 feet from the edge. This provided room for water bags or blocks without covering all my concrete. Melting instead of cutting keeps the edge from fraying. I also have a removable safety fence around the pool that I leave up in the winter. It keeps the critters off the cover . The key to not dragging the water bags into the pool is to provide lots of slack.

That's an interesting idea, and one worth thinking about, though in so doing you removed the ability to fasten with any sort of strap/rope.

Again just curious why people use waterbags rather than some sort of more secure attachment like straps?

That's an interesting idea, and one worth thinking about, though in so doing you removed the ability to fasten with any sort of strap/rope.

Again just curious why people use waterbags rather than some sort of more secure attachment like straps?

the cover prior to my current one, I cut (melted) to be about 6" beyond the fence and then made a heated wire loop that I could make 1.25" holes where my fence poles go. It was a lot of work initially but covering the pool was simple. Remove the fence, lay the cover over it, adjust position as you reinstall the fence through the holes in the cover. No need for waterbags, straps, etc for about 5 years before I replaced the winter cover. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.