Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this a flow sensor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this a flow sensor?

Hey folks!

Please note the 2 photos below. I assume this a flow sensor. As you can see from the second pic, water spews from it when the pump is on.

I opened it. It still has a small rubber o-ring and I tightened the clamp. But it still leaks. I think this is a part of a leak issue I've been dealing with all summer.

Is there an epoxy or sealant I should use on it? Do I need to replace it?

Thanks!

11,800 gallon diamond-brite in-ground pool with second-level 5 ft. diameter spa.
    Jandy DEV48 D.E. filter / Jandy AquaPure 700 SWG with AquaLink RS and PDA Controls
    Jandy Stealth SHMP 1.5 pump / Jandy EEiT EE2000T Solar/Electric Heater.
    TF-100 Test Kit with Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    Pool is inside a screened enclosure in South Florida.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this a flow sensor?

It looks like a flow sensor, but Ive never seen one where the pvc piple was drilled and it epoxied in.
    Im sure there are lots of things around pools that Ive never seen though.

Usually, there is conduit fitting with a "T" on it which the flow fits into.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have an automation system that monitors temperature? It could be a temperature sensor. My temperature sensors from the EasyTouch system look like that.
    My Pool Build
    15k gal IG freeform w/ attached spa, Wet Edge Luna Quartz Bermuda, 3.5' to 5.5' depth, Intelliflo VS pump, Cartridge filter, MasterTemp heater
    1 hp Whisperflo for ledge bubblers/weeping rock wall, Polaris 280, EasyTouch 8 Automation, Intellibrite 5G color LED's, TF-100 w/ Speedstir, Stenner Peristaltic Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

As Robbie mentioned, that's a temp sensor. You can shut the system down and remove it from the plumbing and either find an o-ring that fits or dry it well and use a bead of silicone caulking to seal it back in the line. If you go the caulking route, you'll need to wait until the next day to turn the system back on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Hi Newsguy. You have a Jandy temp sensor. A pool store should stock that oring. I've never had any sealants work. If the nee oring doesn't solve the leak, sometimes the pipe is melted so that the sensor hole is out of round. At that point, the only fix is to cut out that section of pipe, replace it, and drill a new hole for the sensor.

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume you've tried tightening the **** out of that hose clamp to no avail? It might slow the leak down but, yeah, you should get a new o-ring and get some silicone lube with it while you're at it.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone! I'm trying a resin my neighbor said worked for him. Let's see how it goes

11,800 gallon diamond-brite in-ground pool with second-level 5 ft. diameter spa.
    Jandy DEV48 D.E. filter / Jandy AquaPure 700 SWG with AquaLink RS and PDA Controls
    Jandy Stealth SHMP 1.5 pump / Jandy EEiT EE2000T Solar/Electric Heater.
    TF-100 Test Kit with Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    Pool is inside a screened enclosure in South Florida.