Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total alkalinity test turns blue, not green

1. Back To Top    #1

Total alkalinity test turns blue, not green

Total alkalinity in my spa was quite low, so I added Alkalinity Up. Now when I test for alkalinity (using brand-new test solutions), the water in the tube turns light blue rather than green when I add the second solution. When I add the third solution drop by drop, eventually the water turns yellow rather than red.

Using the same new test kit on my pool, I get normal results, so I don't think it's a problem with the test solutions.

Any ideas what this means?
    Northern Virginia; 18,000 gallon Gunite pool; salt water chlorine generator; sand filter with Zeobrite; 1.5 HP main pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total alkalinity test turns blue, not green

High chlorine level will do that.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

John T beat me to the punch. FYI - When I had that happen in the past, and was concerned about the TA color changes with high FC, I added an extra drop or two of the R-0007 to help neutralize the high FC and make my test more predictable (green to red/pink). Either way you should be fine as long as you observe and count the drops between color changes.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    John T beat me to the punch. FYI - When I had that happen in the past, and was concerned about the TA color changes with high FC, I added an extra drop or two of the R-0007 to help neutralize the high FC and make my test more predictable (green to red/pink). Either way you should be fine as long as you observe and count the drops between color changes.
    Thank you, gentlemen. What you say sounds logical, as the bromine level in my spa is very high right now.
    Northern Virginia; 18,000 gallon Gunite pool; salt water chlorine generator; sand filter with Zeobrite; 1.5 HP main pump