Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tiny green 2 leaf plant growing in skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

tiny green 2 leaf plant growing in skimmer

I have such a green thumb at times. In the skimmer is some very small green 2 leaf plants with roots hanging down. The leaf is like the head of a pencil or a bit bigger. It dosen't seem to be in the pool, only filter. I have limited electricity so we are only running the pump on low every other day for 6 hours. I am keeping up with testing and chlorine, cya.
    So is this plant an algae? I always thought algae was fuzzy. I just vacuumed the pool and was doing it 1 x a week, scrub walls. I do know the dog has a side paddling pool that had algae in it. I dumped it but I think the dog may have transfered the algae? We didn't know the lab has been sneaking in the pool and can vault the side not problem.
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: tiny green 2 leaf plant growing in skimmer

While I'm sure that's not algae, it's organic and probably shouldn't be able to grow in a chlorinated pool.

A picture sure would help, as well as a set of current test results for FC, CC, CYA & pH.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I sucked them all up. I will try to draw one. I'll do testing tonight. daughter is not well so life is a bit crazy.
    Used pool 1995 Lomart 18'x48" just installed 7/16/2015, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump, 16" Rx Clear Radiant sand filter ( used pea gravel and zeolite) foam wall, polystyrene bottom, liner 25 gauge overlap, TF-100 test kit. Son training for 2018 Paralympics, Hoping for solar heater of some sort. Good chance Labrador will be in pool. Colorado Prairie, 6000 ft elevation high mountain desert, clay soil

4. Back To Top    #4

does it look like Duckweed?
    Bing Images
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

Gtty, duckweed was my guess too. I've seen plenty of that in ponds in my area.

If there's ever been a waterbird in your pool, they probably brought it from a nearby pond.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

6. Back To Top    #6

Bingo it's duckweed. lol any water the birds find here in high mountain desert is fair game. The lab pup also could bring it in from the creek at the park.
    Dom I did the test this morning. I didn't add bleach last night as I was sick.

CH- 450 that won't change
    TA 140
    pH 7.5
    FC-3 I added bleach
    CC-0
    CYA 45

7. Back To Top    #7

Other than raising that FC up to the 6-ish area based on a CYA of 50 (non-SWG), you appear to be doing well now that the "greenhouse" effect in your pool is resolved. Maybe watch the TA in the future just to make sure it doesn't keep rising and dragging the pH up with it. All-n-all, you seem to be doing well. I'm sure your Lab is very happy. Woof!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!