Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black substance (mold?) in CYA reagent bottle?

1. Back To Top    #1

Black substance (mold?) in CYA reagent bottle?

I was doing my weekly CYA testing in my pool, when I spotted what looked like black mold growing in both reagent bottles. I did the test as usual and came up with a reasonable/expected number. I disposed of the reagent and I'm going to clean the bottles well. Has anyone else seen this before? I searched the forum and found nothing. Thanks for viewing.
    16000 Gallon Plaster pool, Tagleus 2 TA100 Sand Filter filled with Zeobrite media, 3/4 HP Sta-Rite pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Robot, BBB method, Taylor K2006 Test kit. Nothing to brag about here. Lifelong Student of Life. "If you know everything, you fail to learn anything." --not sure who said that--

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black substance (mold?) in CYA reagent bottle?

Why not call Taylor's and ask them about it? Maybe they'll replace your reagent.

Taylor Technology- 800-TEST KIT (837-8548)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You say both bottles....which ones? How long have you had it? I don't recall that ever happening before but perhaps we can figure out the circumstances.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

do you mean the reagent bottle and the mixing bottle? I could see the mixing bottle mabe but have never seen anything in my reagent bottle.. I have had mine for almost 2 years...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    You say both bottles....which ones? How long have you had it? I don't recall that ever happening before but perhaps we can figure out the circumstances.
    It was both bottles. The reagent is at least 5 years old, but I've been using it every week. I compared it with the new reagent I received with my new K2006 and it was spot on. The only thing I can think of is I accidentally left my test kit outside, in a covered patio, a few days ago. The temps were probably in the mid 90's. It was only out there for 10 hrs. I usually keep it in the house. Is it possible that could be it?
    16000 Gallon Plaster pool, Tagleus 2 TA100 Sand Filter filled with Zeobrite media, 3/4 HP Sta-Rite pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Robot, BBB method, Taylor K2006 Test kit. Nothing to brag about here. Lifelong Student of Life. "If you know everything, you fail to learn anything." --not sure who said that--

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The reagent is at least 5 years old,
    That's simply too long. It is not wise to save money by using expired reagents.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School