Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black substance (mold?) in CYA reagent bottle?

1. Back To Top    #1

Black substance (mold?) in CYA reagent bottle?

I was doing my weekly CYA testing in my pool, when I spotted what looked like black mold growing in both reagent bottles. I did the test as usual and came up with a reasonable/expected number. I disposed of the reagent and I'm going to clean the bottles well. Has anyone else seen this before? I searched the forum and found nothing. Thanks for viewing.
    16000 Gallon Plaster pool, Tagleus 2 TA100 Sand Filter filled with Zeobrite media, 3/4 HP Sta-Rite pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Robot, BBB method, Taylor K2006 Test kit. Nothing to brag about here. Lifelong Student of Life. "If you know everything, you fail to learn anything." --not sure who said that--

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black substance (mold?) in CYA reagent bottle?

Why not call Taylor's and ask them about it? Maybe they'll replace your reagent.

Taylor Technology- 800-TEST KIT (837-8548)
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You say both bottles....which ones? How long have you had it? I don't recall that ever happening before but perhaps we can figure out the circumstances.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

do you mean the reagent bottle and the mixing bottle? I could see the mixing bottle mabe but have never seen anything in my reagent bottle.. I have had mine for almost 2 years...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    You say both bottles....which ones? How long have you had it? I don't recall that ever happening before but perhaps we can figure out the circumstances.
    It was both bottles. The reagent is at least 5 years old, but I've been using it every week. I compared it with the new reagent I received with my new K2006 and it was spot on. The only thing I can think of is I accidentally left my test kit outside, in a covered patio, a few days ago. The temps were probably in the mid 90's. It was only out there for 10 hrs. I usually keep it in the house. Is it possible that could be it?
    16000 Gallon Plaster pool, Tagleus 2 TA100 Sand Filter filled with Zeobrite media, 3/4 HP Sta-Rite pump, Dolphin Deluxe 4 Robot, BBB method, Taylor K2006 Test kit. Nothing to brag about here. Lifelong Student of Life. "If you know everything, you fail to learn anything." --not sure who said that--

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The reagent is at least 5 years old,
    That's simply too long. It is not wise to save money by using expired reagents.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School