Not algae but debris/pollen/decomp

Jun 23, 2015
Meriden, CT
Hi guys, I have a 22' by 52" intex ultra frame with stock pump. I've got the test kit from tfp and the cc - 0 cya is 50, ph 7.5, my pool has collected alot of debris and i bought a better vacuum and attachments to vacuum through the intake but i stir up all the debris and it gets cloudy. Should i keep vacuuming and shock or replace pump with intex 3000gph sand? season is almost over here in ct so probably wait til next year.... any suggestions. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

i added a shock and algaecide 1 lb bag yesterday and im running the pump 24/7 from home depot. ive been washing the filter with hose and im waiting on new ones to come in. been using that filter for almost 2 months....

- - - Updated - - -

looking at this and if i want saltwater how does that change maintenance? Amazon.com: Intex Sand Filter Pump with GFCI for Pools, 3000-Gallon: Patio, Lawn Garden

Oh my, I wish you would've asked before adding the algaecide. It may have added copper to water. Not bueno. Also, pool store "shocks" and products are generally not what we recommend to sanitize. Just liquid bleach. But it's good you have the TF-100. :goodjob:
Upgrading to a better/larger filter for next year would be a good move. For now though, you need to consider doing a SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Depending upon how much copper you added to the water with the algaecide, it may make things interesting (water color/hair), but we'll help you get through it.

You can have algae without CCs. It just means the algae and organic material hasn't begun it's transformation to begin oxidizing the trash chlorine. However, if you are concerned that the debris you are stirring-up at the bottom is not algae but perhaps dust or pollen, you can do an overnight chlorine loss test per Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if anything is taking your FC at night. This should help to confirm whether you have anlage or just dust/pollen.

- - - Updated - - -

When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you decide to invest in a SWG, it basically relives you from having to manually add bleach to the pool each day. You still have to keep a close eye on things to ensure you have the proper balance between CYA and FC, but it can make things easier for a pool owner. The better filtration is of course a separate issue and would certainly be a step-up from the stock Intex products provided out of the box.

no chlorine loss last night but i could of sworn i smelled mustard when washing filter... water green, cant see bottom, stirred up debris when vacuuming. no easy way to vacuum this pool, constantly blocking strainer with big debris while hose is hooked to intake, too much to vacuum... any suggestions... close her down for the yr and scrub it down...? first time pool owner, new filter next yr and whats your suggestions for end of season closing...?

If you still have debris in the pool, it is very important to remove as much of that as possible. Some people will use a leaf rake or netting to gently sweep the bottom and raise anything that may be lurking below. Stuff like that will certainly slow-down your SLAM. Even though you will be preparing to close soon, it would be a shame to leave that stuff in there all winter. It could lead to other problems in the spring.

but no chlorine loss? it's weird cause it definitely looks like algae on the intake hoses and skimmers, could be just decomposed leaves and bugs but i don't understand why the filter isn't clearing it. i will vacuum again, it's mostly small particles of what appears to be green algae...

We had another member who had very little to no FC loss with their green pool. Not what you would expect. But still, sometimes we have to go the manual route and remove what we can to assist the filtration system. Not sure, but your 633T pump/filter is probably struggling to keep-up with everything, so some extra babysitting may be required. All you can do is try to keep up. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.