Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green film on liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Green film on liner

Hello all..

A big thanks to this community as you have helped me with many issues.

First summer with a pool and it's been trouble free (until now).. The pool liner continuously has a green film in parts of the pool (and seems to be getting a bit out of control). I am having to run the Dolphin robot 1-2 times daily and it doesn't seem to keep up. This was not the case in the summer as I went all summer without issues and was running filter about 8 hours a day and the dolphin cleaner maybe once every day or so.

The fall is coming quickly as we are getting cooler temps here in Illinois early this year. Along with this comes a bit of additional debris in the pool. I can only assume this is causing the liner discoloration?

I am currently running my filter 8+ hours a day. In fact, it's probably closer to 10+ due to the additional debris. I have the SWG running and the FC levels are usually around 4-5.

Also note, that I have not had a working pool cover all year--but am scheduled to get it repaired soon.

I've never used an algaecide.. Is it time for me to do so? Any other advice? Should I be concerned or is this something that will happen every fall?

FC 5.5
    CC 0
    Ph 7.9
    TA 80
    CYA 80

I've been having a tough time keeping Ph at or below 7.8 lately.
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green film on liner

Hi Pete! Sounds like you need to SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Follow that page carefully and you'll get rid of that green slime. Running the filter longer is no substitute for well-balanced water.

PS - No algaecides!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The only time I have ever SLAMed is when opening the pool this spring. That was before I had the SWG. Should I SLAM with the SWG or use bleach?
    Pete
    Vinyl IG, 32,000 gallons, CircuPool 60,000g SWG, Hayward heater, Pentair TA-60/60D Sand Filter , Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Better to use bleach and not wear out your SWG prematurely. Plus, then you know what you chlorine consumption is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, that's why I am surprised you are recommending a SLAM.. My CC's have been at 0 every time I have checked (three times in the last few days)
    Pete

6. Back To Top    #6

That's understandable. You can have algae with no CC's. It just means the "trash" chlorine has not been processed yet or is awaiting oxidation. Once you start your SLAM, you will probably see the CC number rise at first.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

You didn't post your CYA results. Depending on CYA level if you let your FC fall to 4 that could have been the beginning of an algae bloom.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Wow, y'all beat me!!

Bleach. In fact you can turn the SWG off while you are slamming. The can save some of the useful life of the cell.

What is your CYA level?

How is the circulation in that part of the pool?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pmaroun View Post
    Well, that's why I am surprised you are recommending a SLAM.. My CC's have been at 0 every time I have checked (three times in the last few days)
    Have you performed an OCLT? That will tell if organics (algae) are taking hold. By your descriptions, you have algae and need to SLAM.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks everyone.. Updated my CYA 80.

- - - Updated - - -

started in the deep end and now has spread all over.
    Pete

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pmaroun View Post
    thanks everyone.. Updated my CYA 80.

- - - Updated - - -

started in the deep end and now has spread all over.
    Don't even bother with the OCLT then, get to SLAMming!

With a CYA of 80ppm your SLAM target is 31ppm. Maintain that, or slightly higher to make up for expected losses between testing/adding chlorine.

Time to buy a lot of bleach.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't forget to turn off or dial-down that SWG as well if you haven't already. Follow the SLAM page carefully and you'll make it. Good luck!

13. Back To Top    #13

With a CYA of 80, your FC target is 6 with a minimum of 4 assuming your SWG is in good working order. If you were keeping it at 5 there's a good chance it dropped below 4 often.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Yep.

I was running at a CYA of 60 or under much of this year.. I kept trying to get it up to 70 but we had lots of rain (and lots of draining) this year.. A while back I added a bunch of CYA (maybe a bit too much) to get to 80.. And then never adjusted my FC to match. Hence, the problem.
    Pete

15. Back To Top    #15

I think the algae probably started in areas that your cleaner can't get to very well. You need to still brush those areas, especially now. Happy slamming!