Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I make use of these???

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I make use of these???

my pool came with dual suction ports but since installing the hayward skimmer I'm not using these. should i connect them to also work with the suction or maybe connect them for return?
    22' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame AGP 10,400 gallons
    Intex 3,000 GPH sand filter & Hayward thru-wall skimmer
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I make use of these???

My first thought was for more returns to increase circulation. Let's see what the rest of the crowd has to say.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would use one with a pvc ball valve, this will allow to make it easier when you vacuum. You can open it after you're done vacuuming and shut off the skimmer. This will allow you to remove the equipment without getting out of the pool to turn off the filter pump.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

4. Back To Top    #4

If I make them returns for a total of 3 (already replaced the intex one with the Hayward that came with my skimmer) would the skimmer and the 2 returns fight each other so to speak with having skimmer installed in between the 2?
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It might depend on how you angle them. If you were able to put a 45 degree PVC on the inside for example so you turn or twist each return to customize the direction of flow, it may work-out fine. You can always test circulation by dropping some packing peanuts or ping pong balls in there and see how it goes before you do anything permanent.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Perhaps this is posted elsewhere, but I would love to know how you installed the Hayward Skimmer in an Intex pool....do not want to hijack this post though.
    Katiesmom
    AG (20 years and counting) Intex Metal Frame 24' round 15,000 gallons Intex Sand Filter and SWG new July '16. Hayward wall skimmer. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7

I enlarged my two intex outlets to 1 1/2 inches and "Teed" one of them below the skimmer to serve as a vacuum port. Each line, the skimmer line and the vacuum line, have ball valves so I can run one or the other, or both as I need. The other I hooked up to my old intex pump to serve a water feature I plan to add.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Katiesmom2000 View Post
    Perhaps this is posted elsewhere, but I would love to know how you installed the Hayward Skimmer in an Intex pool....do not want to hijack this post though.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Pool-%28PICS!
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thx for all the replies on this. I went ahead and purchased the parts to "T" into either suction or return. Still not sure what to do, the pool doesn't get lots debris from trees or anything. If I make them returns will that mess with pump pressure? Running 10psi now.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Well on my pool i had the same problem after adding skimmer, what i did was make them into 2 returns one aimed at the bottom of pool to keep things stirred up on the bottom so they can be removed by the skimmer, and the other which is on an Intex pool is at water level so it keeps the water circulating and i have never had a problem with these returns being that close to the skimmer
    Intex 16' X 48'' AGP 5000 Gallons 3000 gph sand filter