Test kit comparison...

Aug 19, 2015
Florence, AZ
Newbie here, so please bare with me. Our pool will be completed in about ten days and after lurking here, I've decided to use the TFP system of maintaining our pool. My question... Why is the TFTeskit recommended over the Taylor 2006C? Is there an advantage over one another?

I've looked at the test kit comparison page on this site and about the only (major) difference is the TFTestkit has the abaility to test chlorine OTO, and price as well. However, I really like the case that the Taylor comes with. Maybe someone can sweet talk me into one or the other.

The difference is that the TF-100 kit provides more reagents for the tests you will actually want and need to do more often. So its got more bang for the buck, so to speak. If you're having problems with algae or need to perform a SLAM procedure, you'll need to be able to do more testing.

What you want but don't know it yet is the Speed Stir device. I can't begin to tell you how much easier this makes my testing. I'm not terribly coordinated to swirl the sample while squeezing the drops from the reagent bottle...more swirls...did I lose count?...it can be comical looking to see me. You WANT this device, trust me. :)

It is just the wrong mix of tests. More cya tests and less TA and CH tests is good. You will be throwing away TA and CH tests and wishing you had more CYA tests. And the OTO chlorine test is very handy for day to day testing. I love my tf100 case. And you get to buy discounted refill kits in the spring.

It is an add on. Worth every penny, IMO. I didn't get one at first but now that I've got it I won't go without!

You may or may not be using the OTO...it only goes up to 5ppm, and sometimes some folks keep their pools up above. But its excellent for confirming the presence of chlorine even if you're not getting the exact number.

Ok let me give an example of how the TF-100 is better than the K-2006C

The FAS-DPD FC/CC test process uses R-0870 powder, R-0871 drops and for the CC portion also R-0003 drops

The standard TF-100 includes 1- 10 gram jar of R-0870 powder, a 60 ml bottle of R-0871 and a 22 ml bottle of R-0003 drops for the CC test.

The XL options doubles the amount of R-0870 and R-0871

The K-2006C includes 1- 10 gram jar of R-0870 powder, a 2 ounce (60 ml) bottle of R-0871 and a 2 ounce (60 ml) bottle of R-0003

Now at first you are going to notice that you have a bigger bottle of R-0003 with the K-2006C, and you will think this is a good thing, when in reality it is excessive, because anytime you do a FC/CC test you will only use 5 drops of R-0003, where you will use 2 drops of R-0871 for every ppm of FC or CC in your test sample, plus one drop each to confirm the color change has stopped.

So lets say you are running a typical pool with 40 ppm CYA, and an FC target of 5 ppm, and all is perfectly on target, your test will use one tiny scoop of R-0870 powder, 11 drops of R-0871 for the FC test for a reading of 5.0 ppm, 5 drops of R-0003, then an additional 1-2 drops of R-0871 for a total of about 12-13 drops R-0871 and 5 drops of R-0003 used. This is a best case scenario if you were running a higher CYA, your FC would also be higher and use more R-0871, if you were fighting algae and performing a SLAM procedure with a CYA level of 40 ppm your target FC target level would be 16 ppm, plus you would likely have some CC present, and you would be using 34+ drops of R-0871 and still only 5 drops of R-0003. So while the K-2006C may give you those nice neat matching size bottles, it is not something you necessarily want once you get into doing the testing.

Ike

p.s. I too recommend the Speed Stir, I don't think anyone has ever regretted spending the money on it, but I will say those that have done the test all by hand particularly all the hand swirling on the CH test, are the ones that are the most appreciative, so decide either buy it now and think oh thats nice, buy it later and think oh how did I ever live without this, or don't buy and and do things the hard way.

I also recommend getting the SpeedStir right away. Also, having one vial for each (drop) test and one SpeedStir bead for each vial is useful.

If memory serves me, the TF-100 comes with two vials and the SpeedStir comes with one bead. So if you're like me you'll want one extra vial and two extra beads.

I also have a bead for the salt test (which came with a vial) but in retrospect that test seems like a waste of time and money, at least once you get the level right and that doesn't take very long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.