Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming the pool

So I have a confession to make. I have never 'vacuumed' the pool. Ever.

Now...the mouse does run 3 hours a day and that generally keeps it spotless except for maybe a stray piece of leaf or mulch here and there. Those are always easier to just pick up with fingers and toss out when in the pool.

I was just curious as to how common the need to NOT vacuum is? I don't even have a vacuum hose for the pool.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming the pool

Hey...Partly because we have a automatic cover but Skippy and I have abbreviated our vacuuming to just using a PoolBlaster Max vac when we need to pick up schmutz from the pool. Mostly centepedes-ugh! Our water is so clear if you don't pick up the schmutz it stands out like a sore thumb.
    We'll use that to tidy up the pool almost daily...five minutes of time zip-zap! we're done! Sure beats dragging out that heavy big hose set!

We're more conscientious about brushing and Skippy does that while in the water. Makes him feel useful, y'know?

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

No vac for me either. I run the cleaner sometimes and brush weekly-ish.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    So I have a confession to make. I have never 'vacuumed' the pool. Ever.

Now...the mouse does run 3 hours a day and that generally keeps it spotless except for maybe a stray piece of leaf or mulch here and there. Those are always easier to just pick up with fingers and toss out when in the pool.

I was just curious as to how common the need to NOT vacuum is? I don't even have a vacuum hose for the pool.

Oh man you don't know what you are missing, it is sooooooo much fun ! ! !

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer vacuuming the pool to vacuuming the house.
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't vacuumed my pool for years although the folks that open the pool do an initial vacuuming when the pool is opened in May of each year. I have Kreepy Krawly that I put in for about 1-2 days per week and I will often dive in and manually vac using the hose detached from the KK.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

7. Back To Top    #7

I manually vacuum because I am too cheap/broke to buy anything better. However on a good note I did manage to pay-off my pool last year.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll confess one further and say not only do I not manually vacuum, rarely do I brush it either. The auto vac runs at least every other day and sometimes a little more often, depending on what falls from the pecan tree. I do check the walls when I'm testing and they always squeak so I'm good.

33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I manually vacuum because I am too cheap/broke to buy anything better. However on a good note I did manage to pay-off my pool last year.
    That must be a great feeling!

I hate vacuuming the pool. It is like Lucy and Ethel meet the pool. I am such a klutz getting everything coordinated to work. My robot is a bust and I am waiting on Maytronics to pick it up and send me a new one. My Pool Blaster died and I am waiting on them to send it back to me so I have no choice but to drag the stupid vac out. On a positive note though I finally learned how to use it correctly.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

ok. Thanks for all the responses! So I guess I'm not the only one in this situation. Good to know. I also do not "have" to brush. I do occasionally, but not because I see anything. The only metal in the pool is the light and the screws for the main drains and the overflow grate. KK runs 3 hours per day just zipping along and having a good time, so I let it do its thing. I always check the metal that I see when I'm swimming laps.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.