Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming the pool

So I have a confession to make. I have never 'vacuumed' the pool. Ever.

Now...the mouse does run 3 hours a day and that generally keeps it spotless except for maybe a stray piece of leaf or mulch here and there. Those are always easier to just pick up with fingers and toss out when in the pool.

I was just curious as to how common the need to NOT vacuum is? I don't even have a vacuum hose for the pool.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming the pool

Hey...Partly because we have a automatic cover but Skippy and I have abbreviated our vacuuming to just using a PoolBlaster Max vac when we need to pick up schmutz from the pool. Mostly centepedes-ugh! Our water is so clear if you don't pick up the schmutz it stands out like a sore thumb.
    We'll use that to tidy up the pool almost daily...five minutes of time zip-zap! we're done! Sure beats dragging out that heavy big hose set!

We're more conscientious about brushing and Skippy does that while in the water. Makes him feel useful, y'know?

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

No vac for me either. I run the cleaner sometimes and brush weekly-ish.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    So I have a confession to make. I have never 'vacuumed' the pool. Ever.

Now...the mouse does run 3 hours a day and that generally keeps it spotless except for maybe a stray piece of leaf or mulch here and there. Those are always easier to just pick up with fingers and toss out when in the pool.

I was just curious as to how common the need to NOT vacuum is? I don't even have a vacuum hose for the pool.

Oh man you don't know what you are missing, it is sooooooo much fun ! ! !

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer vacuuming the pool to vacuuming the house.
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't vacuumed my pool for years although the folks that open the pool do an initial vacuuming when the pool is opened in May of each year. I have Kreepy Krawly that I put in for about 1-2 days per week and I will often dive in and manually vac using the hose detached from the KK.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

7. Back To Top    #7

I manually vacuum because I am too cheap/broke to buy anything better. However on a good note I did manage to pay-off my pool last year.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll confess one further and say not only do I not manually vacuum, rarely do I brush it either. The auto vac runs at least every other day and sometimes a little more often, depending on what falls from the pecan tree. I do check the walls when I'm testing and they always squeak so I'm good.

33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I manually vacuum because I am too cheap/broke to buy anything better. However on a good note I did manage to pay-off my pool last year.
    That must be a great feeling!

I hate vacuuming the pool. It is like Lucy and Ethel meet the pool. I am such a klutz getting everything coordinated to work. My robot is a bust and I am waiting on Maytronics to pick it up and send me a new one. My Pool Blaster died and I am waiting on them to send it back to me so I have no choice but to drag the stupid vac out. On a positive note though I finally learned how to use it correctly.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

ok. Thanks for all the responses! So I guess I'm not the only one in this situation. Good to know. I also do not "have" to brush. I do occasionally, but not because I see anything. The only metal in the pool is the light and the screws for the main drains and the overflow grate. KK runs 3 hours per day just zipping along and having a good time, so I let it do its thing. I always check the metal that I see when I'm swimming laps.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.