Adjusting CYA with Taylor K-2006 Kit

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
I am testing my CYA with the Taylor K-2006 kit and when I pour the mixture (test water + the reagent) into the tube, the mixture goes all the way to the rim of the tube. I can still the black dot.

My question is I need to raise CYA but how do I obtain my CYA level so I know how much CYA to add? Is there another way to find the level with this test kit?

If you can see all the way to the top then it is less than 20. If it is full to the top and completely clear then it is 0. Use Poolmath to calculate how much to add. Being in the hot sun I would go straight to 40 or 50. In a couple of sock in skimmers or hanging in front of returns. Squeeze them several to many times per day to speed the process.

More here on chemicals, what they are, what they do and how to add them to your pool.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I'm going to disagree just slightly with pooldv, in that the K-2006 viewing tube has its last marking at 30 (TF-100 tube goes to 20, I believe), so seeing the dot all the way to the top indicates CYA level below 30.

To answer one of your questions, there is no way to more precisely measure low CYA levels with the kit. If you see any cloudiness in the viewing tube, or if you know you have added any pool chemicals containing stabilizer, be cautious and don't add your full desired amount of CYA in one shot (you may already have 10 or 20 ppm in there, and you don't want to overshoot).

Whether you use the TF-100 view tube (lowest - 20) or the K-2006 view tube (lowest - 30), if you can still see the black dot clearly, you can assume CYA ZERO.

Then calculate your dosage to come up 10 short of your target. Retest after your dose and adjust if necessary.

I'm going to disagree just slightly with pooldv, in that the K-2006 viewing tube has its last marking at 30 (TF-100 tube goes to 20, I believe), so seeing the dot all the way to the top indicates CYA level below 30.

To answer one of your questions, there is no way to more precisely measure low CYA levels with the kit. If you see any cloudiness in the viewing tube, or if you know you have added any pool chemicals containing stabilizer, be cautious and don't add your full desired amount of CYA in one shot (you may already have 10 or 20 ppm in there, and you don't want to overshoot).

I accept that correction. And admit that I have never seen a K-2006 cya test tube, I assumed it was the same as the TF100. :)

The funny thing is that my CYA is below 30 but my chlorine need has not changed. I'm still adding the same amount of chlorine as I was when the CYA level was 30-35. So now my question is, should I leave the CYA alone or should I adj back to 30-35?

Some info:
1. I have not added any stabilizer. All I add is liquid chlorine and MA to lower my pH.
2. When I look from the top of the tube (Taylor K-2006), the dot is only SLIGHTLY blurred. I can still make out the dot pretty well

Up to you. The season is getting later so the sun isn't as high and that will lower losses so this could be coincidental.

However, with the CYA lower the active chlorine level will be higher which is less pleasant for swimming. You won't really know how low the CYA is so you can't really target your FC level properly. So it would probably be better to raise the CYA to 30 ppm so you at least know what to do with your FC level.

I'm a bit surprised that you aren't losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight even when it was 30-35 ppm. Perhaps you don't get full sun on the pool or have a partially opaque pool cover.

chem geek: Good points. I do need to know what my CYA level is to keep the Cl at the proper level. Yes, I add about 60-90 oz of 10% liquid chlorine daily. This is for the summer. From what I read on this forum, that's a normal amount, unless someone disagrees.

I do not have an opaque pool cover. I guess I don't get full sun on the pool. I love to lay out in the sun and by 5pm (CST), the sun is gone. My house blocks the sun and it's just shade. Maybe that's why.

pooldv: I like 30-35ppm. I guess that's because that was the level the pool was at when I decided to take care of my own pool. I was going to raise it, thinking I wanted to conserve my chlorine, but when I read that people on this forum were adding 1/2 a gallon of chlorine (which is kind of the same as what I'm adding), I decided to keep it at that level.

Is there anyone on this forum, oustide of pooldv, that thinks I should keep my CYA higher than 35ppm?

Not here. A tad higher, maybe. PoolDv has a SWG so his CYA needs to be higher.

I keep my CYA between ABOUT 35-40. If I see 35ish, I add a little powdered dichlor. CYA at 35-40 keeps my FC requirements at the minimum and I have had great success with that.
I base my additions on a CYA of 40.

Keep in mind that CYA measurements are logarithmic and half way in your test vial (between 30 and 40) is not 35, but closer to 31-32.

If you consisently test in that range, you are okay, but remember that the CYA test accuracy is the toughest and you may be off +/- 10%.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek: Good points. I do need to know what my CYA level is to keep the Cl at the proper level. Yes, I add about 60-90 oz of 10% liquid chlorine daily. This is for the summer. From what I read on this forum, that's a normal amount, unless someone disagrees.

That's around 2-3 ppm FC which is a fairly typical chlorine loss rate. It's just surprising you are able to get that at the low CYA level, but your part-time shade may explain it. At any rate, if you're good with that chlorine usage, then 30 ppm CYA should be fine. It's up to you if you wanted to go higher towards 50 ppm to see if it lowered your chlorine usage, but it's no problem for you keeping it at 30 ppm CYA if you want to do that.

Yes, I have SWG and that needs higher CYA. My reason for recommending 50 is because of the Houston, TX location and hot sun. The recommended range on TFP is 30-50. Generally, the 30 starts waaayyy up north by MarianParoo and increases to 50 as you move south and get sunnier. But, if your daytime chlorine loss is acceptable then by all means 30 is fine.

One more issue. I just added CYA, the liquid form, into my skimmer.

1. I have a schedule where I run my pumps 10hrs/day. Do I let the pumps run 24/7 after adding the CYA? If so, when can I go back to my regular 10hrs/day?

2. When can I do a test sample to obtain my new CYA level?

Is there anyone on this forum, oustide of pooldv, that thinks I should keep my CYA higher than 35ppm?
I do. We have found that in a Texas climate, 50 ppm seems to be a sweet spot for most pools (not swg).

That said, you are free to keep it wherever you like and you understand the purpose. 35 ppm for you seems like a case of "If it aint broke......".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.