New to pool ownership

Lou Erickson

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 23, 2015
San Jose, CA
Hi there!

I'm a software engineer in Silicon Valley, and share a house in San Jose with a couple of good friends. In January, we bought a house with a pool. At the time, we decided not to learn the pool maintenance ourselves, and hired a pool guy. The last thing we needed was to find the pool green and have the city on our case about it while we were trying to get moved.

Fast forward to now... The pool's been green a couple of times, and we've had the pool guy and also a big pile of expensive chemicals from the local pool store help us cope with that. I'm having to do more and more to take care of it, and am thinking it's time to take it in hand ourselves.

The Google leads me here, and I'm reading like mad. I like the sound of the plan, and will probably be asking some specific questions in other forums.

Many thanks in advance for all the collected knowledge here, as I'm sure it will be extremely valuable!

--
18,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool, built circa 1965
single speed pump and booster (old, probably mid-1990's), driving
System 3 cartridge filter, old Polaris crawler, and rooftop solar.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! You're right to take matters into your own hands. It's not that tough, but you do need to right test kit. None of that local pool store testing, strips, or sub-par kits. See the TF-100 link in my sig below and you'll on your way. Also check-out the TFP Pool School link for some basic info. Glad to have you with us.

Thanks, TS! From what I read, it sounds manageable and less expensive than what I'm doing now. The frustrating part of where I am now is that I'm sort of blindly doing all the things suggested and they're not working. I'd probably be satisfied with what we were doing if it were working.

I'm going to be out of town next week, so will order a proper test kit and probably wait to take more firm charge until I get back.

I can ask questions in the meantime. Hopefully someone here knows what I need to know.

Welcome! :wave:

Once you get a test kit and get things dialed in -- be forewarned that you will probably never get the CH in the recommended zone -- pool maintenance will be a couple minutes a day and a little extra for brushing and vacuuming. If your yard is surrounded by trees, maybe two or three hours a week during Fall. Less other times. I doubt I spend an hour a week on mine.

I ordered a TF-100 today, with the XL reagents and a stirrer and some other bits and bobs. I might go out of town before it gets here, but it'll wait till I get back. Then I'll be able to test and know what's going on, before we change anything else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support