Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool ownership

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool New to pool ownership

Hi there!

I'm a software engineer in Silicon Valley, and share a house in San Jose with a couple of good friends. In January, we bought a house with a pool. At the time, we decided not to learn the pool maintenance ourselves, and hired a pool guy. The last thing we needed was to find the pool green and have the city on our case about it while we were trying to get moved.

Fast forward to now... The pool's been green a couple of times, and we've had the pool guy and also a big pile of expensive chemicals from the local pool store help us cope with that. I'm having to do more and more to take care of it, and am thinking it's time to take it in hand ourselves.

The Google leads me here, and I'm reading like mad. I like the sound of the plan, and will probably be asking some specific questions in other forums.

Many thanks in advance for all the collected knowledge here, as I'm sure it will be extremely valuable!

--
    18,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool, built circa 1965
    single speed pump and booster (old, probably mid-1990's), driving
    System 3 cartridge filter, old Polaris crawler, and rooftop solar.
    Last edited by Lou Erickson; 08-23-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added signature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool ownership

Welcome to TFP! You're right to take matters into your own hands. It's not that tough, but you do need to right test kit. None of that local pool store testing, strips, or sub-par kits. See the TF-100 link in my sig below and you'll on your way. Also check-out the TFP Pool School link for some basic info. Glad to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, TS! From what I read, it sounds manageable and less expensive than what I'm doing now. The frustrating part of where I am now is that I'm sort of blindly doing all the things suggested and they're not working. I'd probably be satisfied with what we were doing if it were working.

I'm going to be out of town next week, so will order a proper test kit and probably wait to take more firm charge until I get back.

I can ask questions in the meantime. Hopefully someone here knows what I need to know.
    single speed pump and booster (old, probably mid-1990's), driving System 3 cartridge filter, old Polaris crawler, and rooftop solar.
    TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! You are on the right track to easy, cheap and effective pool maintenance!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome, having a quality test kit and understanding the test results makes all the difference, without one you really are flying blind
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Once you get a test kit and get things dialed in -- be forewarned that you will probably never get the CH in the recommended zone -- pool maintenance will be a couple minutes a day and a little extra for brushing and vacuuming. If your yard is surrounded by trees, maybe two or three hours a week during Fall. Less other times. I doubt I spend an hour a week on mine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I ordered a TF-100 today, with the XL reagents and a stirrer and some other bits and bobs. I might go out of town before it gets here, but it'll wait till I get back. Then I'll be able to test and know what's going on, before we change anything else.
    single speed pump and booster (old, probably mid-1990's), driving System 3 cartridge filter, old Polaris crawler, and rooftop solar.
    TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

ordering that TF-100! You'll be glad you did.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yay! My TF-100 came today... just as I was on my way out the door to go to the airport. Out of town for a week. Oh well, it'll wait for me to get home. I have some questions, and took some pictures to fill that gap.
    TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

That's okay. The test kit and TFP will be here when you get back. Have a safe trip.

11. Back To Top    #11

on ordering the TF-100. You've taken the first big step towards taking control of your pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.