Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unsealed Spillover

1. Back To Top    #1

Unsealed Spillover

Here's an interesting thing I came across yesterday:
    [attachment=1:22twceid]spillover.JPG[/attachment:22twceid]
    [attachment=0:22twceid]spillover2.JPG[/attachment:22twceid]

I've never seen someone spill over unsealed concrete before. The results seem to be just what you'd expect. The lighter spots are where sealant (looks like silicone) has been applied to cracks. You can't see it in the pic but there's also a liberal amount used over the liner track under the spillover.

I'm in the middle of doing an inspection report for the potential buyer and I'm wondering if anybody has a feasible recommendation on how to make this thing a little more trouble free. For the sake of the inspection it is "doing the job for which it is intended" at the moment, but I'd like to mention it to them and give them some idea of what could be done to make it look and hold up better. Ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Unsealed Spillover

Tim,

Ardex is one of many manufacturers who makes a floor leveling masonry product. Essentially, it is portland cement with very, very, very fine sand. It can be troweled baby smooth and very, very thin.

There is a slight chance that patch discoloration may telegraph thru the floor leveler but it could surely be painted with epoxy if it did
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Any ideas on how it could be better flashed over the liner? It's hard to see, but essentially the existing spillover just looks like standard cantilevered concrete coping which is rounded right around to the track, which in turn pulls the water right into that groove. The track and the gap between it and the coping have been covered in silicone across the length of the spillover plus about 6" on either side.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would really like to see any possible solutions to this because I have a very similar problem. I will post some pics when I can get them.

My spillover hits the bullnose pavers that are under it. I am worried it will eventually damage the pavers and damage the liner at the track... Or even worse, have water start getting in there and bubbling the liner out.

Is there a way to extend fiber glass further out or maybe use clear plastic?

Very similiar issue to above.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Tim

I've never seen one done that way either

How about tiling the spillover channel - you'd only add 1/4 - 3/8" in the mouth so the water won't just flow out the top of the tub and you could hang the tile ~1" into the pool for a better waterfall effect. Also, tile would look more attractive than the bare concrete that's now there.

Let me know how this grabs you and I'll be more than happy to discuss this and the other options with you 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Hi Tim

I've never seen one done that way either

How about tiling the spillover channel - you'd only add 1/4 - 3/8" in the mouth so the water won't just flow out the top of the tub and you could hang the tile ~1" into the pool for a better waterfall effect. Also, tile would look more attractive than the bare concrete that's now there.

Let me know how this grabs you and I'll be more than happy to discuss this and the other options with you 8)
    I like this idea, but I would worry about kids (and drunk adults ) grabbing onto the over-hanging tiles to hold themselves up. This could cause them to pull off...
    I was considering that idea for myself.

For the above picture maybe mortaring down a nice natural stone slab into that spot. If you could find one with a small lip that goes down a bit that would be even better.

Very similiar to the tile suggestion, but maybe more stable?
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Why not just put barbed wire on the overhang to 'discourage' grabbing it? :P

Seriously, with 6" tile, I doubt there would be a problem.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Why not just put barbed wire on the overhang to 'discourage' grabbing it? :P
    I don't know if they stock razor wire at any of my local distributors. I'll have to check.