Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FL4 - Hot Surface Igniter Problem on Jandy Lite 2 heater

1. Back To Top    #1

FL4 - Hot Surface Igniter Problem on Jandy Lite 2 heater

I have a Jandy Lite 2 heater that is about 8 years old. I am getting this fault on it. I checked the two fuses and one of them was blown so I replaced it and the heater worked fine for a day. A day later the problem came back with another blown fuse. I replaced that as well but now it doesn't light at all.

I removed the hot surface igniter and it appears to be broken as it should look like this:

But mine looks like this:

Could that have caused the problem(s) with the blown fuse?

I have ordered a new igniter from Amazon so I will replace it when it arrives.

Is there any reason why there are two fuses - one is inline with either wire. Shouldn't one fuse do the trick? And does the polarity of the wires matter, and/or does it matter if I switch the ends of the inline fuse holders? In other words there are two fuses with the same black holder. Let's say that the wires connecting Fuse 1 are wires A and B and the wires connecting Fuse 2 are wires C and D. Would it matter if I somehow switched them and connected wire A to C instead of B?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: FL4 - Hot Surface Igniter Problem on Jandy Lite 2 heater

Polarity is not critical with these. Not sure on the fuse issue though. Paul may have some insight on this.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

No polarity issues. Are you the original owner? I've only seen one fuse inline. Not two.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

I am the original owner. Here is a photo of the two inline fuses:
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    I am the original owner. Here is a photo of the two inline fuses:
    Looks like the picture is missing.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Looks like the picture is missing.
    Sorry - the link to Google photos stopped working. Hopefully this one is ok and sticks.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Those look to be added. Do they show up on the schematic in the manual or on the door?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I looked in one of my manuals and yes there are two fuses apparently for the ignitor. I've never seen two though.

Hey that pressure switch doesn't look good.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

The pressure switch was leaking quite a bit in the past. I had to unscrew it and put Teflon tape on the threads. And that explains the rest of the corrosion - I don't imagine the salt in the pool water helps either.

I replaced the HSI with one that I bought on Amazon and all looks good for now. There is a Youtube video on how to do this where the guy took out the entire burner to replace the HSI - although his Lite 2 looks a bit different from mine. All I had to do was unscrew one 1/4" screw which was fairly accessible that held the HSI in, unplug the two spade connectors and it was out.

Are these heaters made by Jandy or Laars? Or are they made for Jandy by Laars?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    Are these heaters made by Jandy or Laars? Or are they made for Jandy by Laars?
    Yes....LOL
    Paul