Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Volume

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Volume

Hi

I'm trying to figure out the volume of my in-ground rectangular pool with the dimensions

36'L
    18'W
    8' on the deep end
    3' on the shallow
    The issue is it has a gentle slope from the shallow to deep end but steep sloping sides (3) on the deep end.
    It also has a small bump out with steps to walk down into the pool.

The formula I found online for sloping sides was L x W x average depth x.85 (to account for the slope). Does this sound reasonable? Do I add on for the steps? Does this not matter that much? I'm guessing 27,000 gallons.

New house and I'm taking over care of the pool with a salt water chlorine generator. I've gotten the salinity up to the proper range now I've found the cyanuric acid to be about 10! 70-80 is a long way away.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Volume

Here is what we use. I am also going to add some info in a min.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

A 18' wide by 36' long by 5' deep pool holds 24,200 gals.
    If the depth varies, use the average depth of the pool. A good approximation is the shallow end depth plus the deep end depth divided by two. Irregularly shaped pools can be approximated by estimating the average length and width and using rectangular

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing we can do it this.............

Using 24,200 gals as your gals. test your FC. Using Pool Math see how much chlorine it says it will take to get your FC up 2 ppm higher than you just tested.

If your FC does not go up 2 ppm you know you need to adjust your gals slightly. The same for if it goes up more than it should have.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Volume

I also came-up with the same as Kim using the calculator - 24,200. Now you can adjust and fine-tune that estimate by what you add to the pool from the calculator and the final result from those chemical addition as Kim stated. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!