Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: air bubbles in 2 out of 6 returns

1. Back To Top    #1

air bubbles in 2 out of 6 returns

I will do the tests mentioned in the suction side leak guide, but to me this doesn't make sense. I do have a tiny bit of air in the pump basket but so i know i have a leak (hoping it is just an o-ring repair) that i am going to jump on in a few minutes. My question is why do I only get bubbles coming in on 2 out of six returns? Also, it seems like there are more bubbles coming out the 2 returns than there are in the pump basket. Does any of this make sense?
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl
    SWG (intellichlor I-40)
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: air bubbles in 2 out of 6 returns

My question is why do I only get bubbles coming in on 2 out of six returns?
    Those two returns might be slightly higher in elevation than the other two and air rises.

Also, it seems like there are more bubbles coming out the 2 returns than there are in the pump basket.
    Air out of the returns means the air is being sucked in from somewhere and there are only a couple of choices and the symptoms are different.

Symptom: Air coming out of one or more returns continuously.

Causes: Suction side air leak. OR if you have solar AND solar is running AND you have a VRV on the roof AND the filter pressure is higher than normal, the VRV could be sucking air.

Symptom: Air coming out of one or more returns but stops after some amount of pump run time (i.e. only on startup).

Cause: This one could be a filter air leak when the pump is off. Spider gaskets are usually the cause.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

My guess is that the bubbles are coming from your SWG. Mine does it when the SWG is on, one or two returns, sometimes different returns. Turn it off to see if it stops. Are there other symptoms besides bubbles?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I assumed the bubbles were large. If they are tiny, then it could be the SWG.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! Turning of the SWG made the bubbles go away...instantly. Are the bubbles a normal function of the electrolysis process or a sign that something is wrong? I have been running the swg high to aid, along with bleach, in a slam so that might have made the bubbling more noticeable...
    27,000 gallon in-ground
    vinyl
    SWG (intellichlor I-40)
    sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Most SWG's bubble slightly, it is a function of producing chlorine from the salt, and is a gassing off as a result of the process.