Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help diagnose splotches?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help diagnose splotches?

Hi guys,

Big fan of the TFP method - for 2 1/2 years! Have not had to shock/slam at all!

Two problems left:
    1. Calcium scale (been there since previous owner kept CH at 400 per pool store advice). I keep the CH low and the scale isn't getting any worse, maybe a little bit better.
    Should I do anything about this? The scale doesn't seem to be any rougher than the pool surface itself.

2. Blotches appeared on steps. Tried scrubbing, placing a 3" chlorine puck overnight, still there.
    Any ideas what to try next?

Here's the chemistry and some pics. (yes, those are footprints in the deep end. I don't know how or why!)

FC: 5.5 (keep it consistently between 4.5 and 5.5)
    CC: 0.0
    TA: 90
    pH: 7.8 (keep lowering it to 7.6 but this pool wants to drift up and stay at 7.8)
    CH: 175
    CYA: 38 (as close as I can tell)

Thanks,
    Steve
    30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help diagnose splotches?

vitamin C tablets crushed up and in a sock--put it on the stain. Let us know what happens. try it on the feet prints also although they are kind of cute LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Splotch update:
    So, this is funny. I put Vitamin C on the stain and it got DARKER.
    Then I realized that I had used chewable vitamin C tablets with an ORANGE coloring.
    So next I will try the chlorine puck again to see if it removes the new stain! And then probably try again with normal vitamin C.
    30k gallon inground gunite, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 Catridge Filter, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 wall returns, 2 floor returns, 2 Jandy valves, 2 underwater lights (hey, I didn't design this thing...), LoopLoc safety cover for the winter, average chlorine usage over 3 years: 1.2ppm/day, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite ($3/gal) and following TFP PoolMath directions. Works great!

4. Back To Top    #4

OH NO! NOT darker! I can hear you now "that is what I get for listening to some yahoo on the internet!" LOL I am sorry! I hope it clears up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Kim - not at all - you're advice worked.
    The ascorbic acid removed the original spot.
    The dye in the tablets was deposited on the surface, and an hour of a tri-chlor puck sitting on it removed the dye

Thanks for your advice.

Any thoughts on how or whether to treat the whole pool with ascorbic acid to get rid of all the spots?

Thanks,
    Steve

6. Back To Top    #6

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Here is a thread I found when I did a search for it. There are several threads. Do a search in the search bar on the TFP home page.

I am SO glad it worked!

Kim