Salt water pool to chlorine tablets

Apr 27, 2014
Oregon
We have a salt water set up, all salt needed has been added, but the salt water generator is not working. We want to disconnect the salt water generator and just do chlorine tablets since summer is already almost over and haven't been able to use our pool. Can I just add the chlorine tablets and whatever else to get the numbers right? Or will the salt in the water effect things and will I need to drain and refill it first? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. If you have maintained your CYA levl at 70 to 80 range for your SWG as we recommend, it sure won't take many pucks to put you in danger zone territory for that. For as long as you have left, why not just use plain old bleach and play it safe? Your salt level has no effect on anything else significant btw.

Welcome to TFP!

Yep, use liquid chlorine, not powdered or solid chlorine. Bleach or liquid chlorine will not add CYA to your pool. Otherwise you are good to go. Chlorine is chlorine and it doesn't matter how it gets into the pool, it all works the same.

You will have to chlorinate to levels according to the non-swg part of the Chlorine CYA Chart

Welcome! :wave:

Are you sure the SGW isn't working? Is it dead dead, as in no power lights? Or does it have warning lights lit? Or does it just not seem to generate any chlorine, you're constantly showing zero FC?

The reason I ask these things is because many people assume the SWG isn't working, when what is really happening is that there is the beginning of an algae bloom and the FC is consumed by algae as fast as it can be generated. The water is just a bit cloudy but otherwise clear yet it never shows any FC when tested.

So.... are there any lights on? Are there any warning lights? Have you tested the FC in the water straight out of the returns when the SWG is actually on?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.