Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: always high PH after bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

always high PH after bleach

Hi guys have a question here. I have been battling high PH the last month or so. My pool looks great but I have to add muriatic acid all the time. I added a gallon last week brought my PH down to 7.2. After adding bleach this week to keep it at 4 I have PH off the scale again. I thot it was bc I have a bad o-ring at the pump but I fixed that no more air going thru returns. Is it the bleach that is causing my PH to sky rocket every week? I have added 2 gallons thru the week to keep it at a 3/4 bc thats where we like the FC level. The PH slowly crept up over the week this morning my levels are

FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 8+
    TA 90
    CYA 40

At this point I really can't wait to close. The water temps have dropped with the cooler temps at night and we are done swimming for the year. If I have to add bleach to reach my SLAM levels for closing I can't imagine what my PH levels will be when I close.
    26700 gal IG vinyl lined pool. Clean and Clear 100 sq ft cartridge system, 1 hp Pentair SuperFlo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: always high PH after bleach

I can't imagine bleach contributing to any pH elevations. Do you use any type of aeration in your pool Fountains, jets pointing upwards, etc)? Anything that may create bubbling in your water?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have no aeration in the pool. All jets pointed down, no air return thru jets. I'm baffled to say the least.
    26700 gal IG vinyl lined pool. Clean and Clear 100 sq ft cartridge system, 1 hp Pentair SuperFlo pump

4. Back To Top    #4

No, bleach is not contributing to your PH rise. What is the TA and PH of your fill water? Lower your TA to 50-60 and see if the PH stabilizes. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

If it does not stabilize with TA at 50 then consider adding borates, Borates - Why and How
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

What do you use to test the water ?
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

6. Back To Top    #6

id have to agree, my fill water is like 110 TA, so I notice when I get around 90, my ph rises much faster, its like a trigger point. when I get it to 80 or less - its FAR more stable. no way its your bleach.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.