Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing the valve without killing the pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Cape May Court House, NJ

Changing the valve without killing the pump

My PB put the fear of God in me to never, ever change the lever on my sand filter (filter, backwash, rinse, etc.) without turning off the pump first. What about changing the valve position from skimmer to main drains or vice versa - can I do that while the pump is running?
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Seattle, WA

Re: Changing the valve without killing the pump

Yes, it's generally OK to switch a 3-way valve (T shaped) from skimmer to main drain and vice versa so long as the skimmer isn't blocked by things like toys, balls or low water level and the main drain isn't blocked by anything (sunken inflatable raft??).
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Changing the valve without killing the pump

do it very s l o w to let it equalize and you should be good
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **