Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which concrete surface to use for pool sidewalks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which concrete surface to use for pool sidewalks?

Brushed concrete vs Aggregate concrete, which is the slickest? Can you stain brushed concrete?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which concrete surface to use for pool sidewalks?

Exposed aggregate concrete will be slicker than brushed concrete simply because the aggregate used is almost always small river rock that is polished and rounded. Those exposed rocks will be slicker than a brushed concrete surface. I don't think it would be overly slick for a pool decking surface but I've never experienced it first hand. Might depend on the protrusion height of the stones after the cement wash out procedure.

Any concrete can be stained. You'll get the best results with a concrete that actually has the cement portion of the mixture dyed with additives rather than staining after the installation but both can be done.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

All of our sidewalks to the pool decking were done in stained concrete with a rock salt finish. It looks great, especially when it rains and the color deepens a bit.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I went with a rock salt finish and didn't bother with a stain as I don't want to have to seal it to protect the stained finish.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I have rough exposed aggregate and it is like cheese grater.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Which concrete surface to use for pool sidewalks?

Just to show an example, both the pool deck (acid wash finish) and the sidewalk (rock salt finish) used the same colorant in the cement mix. But they look different dry and wet. The picture below is dry, deck on top sidewalk on bottom.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

My whole deck is exposed aggragate and its even sealed, and I dont consider it to be too slick. I dont have brushed concrete, so I can't make that comparison.

As chuckiechan put it, "feels like a cheese grater", well maybe not quite that bad, but after a few hours, you will need your flip flops, and not because of the heat, but your feet get sore from walking barefoot on it after a while.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all for the input. I want the aggregate and my wife want the brushed. Who you think will win.....HA!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Now wife wants just "regular" concrete finish. I've tried to explain to her how slick it will be, but she wont listen!!!!!
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    Now wife wants just "regular" concrete finish. I've tried to explain to her how slick it will be, but she wont listen!!!!!
    At least try the acid finish. It's not slippery at all.

Matt

11. Back To Top    #11

I like the acid finish. I like the 'weathered' look it gives.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    At least try the acid finish. It's not slippery at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!