No bottom drain cover.

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
I don't have a cover on my 'bottom' drain. It looks like a return without an eyeball insert. I'm looking for ideas for a cover that won't restrict the flow. It isn't really in the bottom, it's about 6 inches up in the curve between the bottom and the end.

bottom_drain.jpg

please excuse the picture quality, IPhone at full zoom. yes the water is BLUE tonight. yes, I have to vacuum again in the morning :(

Last edited:
I don't think that is a bottom drain. It looks like an equalizer tube that goes up to the skimmer. Is it 2-3' or so below the skimmer opening? Shouldn't be any need for a cover on that.

First thing I tried. Long before I posted here. I can find bottom drain covers, too big. I can find all kinds of return eyeballs and things like that. Not what I'm looking for. Wife and I have both had a foot sucked onto it. Somebody, more than once or twice.... Makes the pump VERY unhappy when that happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's only 1-1/2 like a return. Been googling for the last hour.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure appreciate all the folks looking at his with me!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think this might work. Sticks out a little farther than I would like but not too many choices.

41tZqX3W05L.jpg

Yeah that getting your feet sucked into the drain is scary. There's been people who have gotten their hair sucked in the bottom drains, and couldn't get loose causing them to drown.

I read an article one time about someone who went under the water, sat on the drain, and it sucked their intestines out of their body. So yeah, anything like that definitely needs some sort of cover over it. Here is a link from snopes.com verifying that the intestines be sucked out by a pool drain is very possible. At the end of the snopes article it does also say that it is "preventable by installation of semi-permanent, anti-vortex grates"

I wasn't sure what exactly Antivortex grates looked like, I assume they are designed differently to prevent the tornado effect from occurring. I have seen drain covers that are solid on the top and are raised like on a base where everything goes under the cap into the drain and I was wondering if this is the type of cap they are talking about ?

Anyway, I looked it up and here is just one example http://www.epoolshop.com/Hayward_Anti-Vortex_Main_Drain_Cover_WGX1048E.aspx. I didn't see any that screw into the piece that's already there though? But the one you picked out looks like with the holes in it etc. that it very close to this design. I just want to make sure you guys are safe in there once the cover is in place.

Anyway here's the snopes link if you want to see it. http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=91;t=000063;p=0

Have a nice day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.