Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New house: Pump and Filter questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New house: Pump and Filter questions

I just purchased a home with a pool. While I have the chemistry down (thanks to this site) I'm finding I still have a few questions on the pump and filter I was hoping to get help on. Specifically:

Pic 1: https://app.box.com/s/ynf46jb2da66u8ek4golf3pghlmpn5e3
    Pic 2 (close up):https://app.box.com/s/c9p7munr5grcru79cq92oyvjuuc11o6u

The arrow points to a diverter valve which pumps the water to either filter A or B. Both use the same skimmer (there's only one), but return the water to the pool through a different return line. Why are there two filters and what is the purpose of the diverter valve?

Pic 3: https://app.box.com/s/kzpaaklmz6klva9h3kvw3a1a070pw832

This is right next to the pump and filter. The arrow points to a dial that I'm not sure the purpose of, but since the PVC pipe after it goes into the ground next to the pump I am assuming it's pool related. Any idea here?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm enjoying my pool so far!
    15k gallon in ground fiberglass, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New house: Pump and Filter questions

Welcome to the forum.

That Jandy energy filter is supposed to be some kind of pre-filter who's purpose remains kinda' unclear to me. I would take out the cartridge and not use it.

That's quite an installation you have. Does the mystery pipe go under the house? can you follow it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

I haven't been able to follow it yet since the crawlspace is covered with boxes, but plan on it shortly. It occurs to me it may be a shut off for the sprinklers as well.

As for the Jandy filter, is there typically any reason to have two filters in a pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

As for the Jandy filter, is there typically any reason to have two filters in a pool?
    None that I can think of and virtually nobody does. Call Jandy and ask them the purpose of that "energy" filter
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd call Jandy, too, and/or search online in regards to that second filter. Never seen one like that before.

Pic 3 looks like a pool filler. That largish brass 'valve' thingy is a backflow device to prevent pool water from entering into your house water.

BTW, Welcome to TFP!! I see we are neighbors, too.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

I searched around and saw another post which mentioned the Jandy filter being used for a pressure cleaner line. Perhaps that's a possibility, but I'll take the advice and call Jandy to see.

Thanks for the welcome, and I got a kick out of that main drain post. It makes me wonder what's in store for my pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by juxta View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, and I got a kick out of that main drain post. It makes me wonder what's in store for my pool
    LOL! Did Apache Pools build your pool as well?!
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

8. Back To Top    #8

Haha, (un)fortunately, I don't have the original paperwork for the pool.