Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Cya test results

So I have a question for TF-100 users. The CYA test directions say to check the mark once you cannot longer see the black dot. Based on this instructions my CYA levels are around 30-40 PPM. However, based on the stabilizer dosage I added to the water and the pool store test results my CYA should be around 80 PPM. I google CYA test and watched a video on your tube of someone who appears to use the TF-100 CYA test and his directions are bit different and call for when the black dot almost disappear. I know per the TF-100 CYA test directions this is a subjective test. Can anyone shed some light on this test, as I want to ensure my CYA readings are accurate to keep the correct FC levels. Currently my FC level is 9PPM, which is a bit hight if my CYA is 80 PPM, but extremely high if my CYA level is 30-40 PPM. Is there a more accurate and less subjective test? I do no trust the pool stores, as I took the same sample to two different stores and one tested my CYA levels at 30 PPM and the other a 70PPM....It's crazy..I do not know what to trust now.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya test results

You are right to not trust the pool store testing for various reasons. Stick with yours. The dot should completely disappear.
    Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Please disregard any pool store results and let's check your math. It sounds like you recently added CYA. What was your test result before you dosed and then how much did you dose?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My CYA Level was 50 ppm. The stabilizer I used calls for 2 1/2 lbs for each 10,000 gallons for a 30 PPM CYA Level. I used 5 pounds as my pool is 20K gallons. However, please note that if I am not testing correctly, then I cannot rely on the 50 PPM.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Please disregard any pool store results and let's check your math. It sounds like you recently added CYA. What was your test result before you dosed and then how much did you dose?
    - - - Updated - - -

Ok. I will try that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    You are right to not trust the pool store testing for various reasons. Stick with yours. The dot should completely disappear.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Not often, but we sometimes hear of people buying stabilizer but there is no REAL stabilizer in the box. I have always had trouble believing that but your story makes me wonder. I can think of no other reason.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

How long ago did you add it? How did you add it to the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I will keep this in mind. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Not often, but we sometimes hear of people buying stabilizer but there is no REAL stabilizer in the box. I have always had trouble believing that but your story makes me wonder. I can think of no other reason.
    - - - Updated - - -

About three days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    How long ago did you add it? How did you add it to the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Give it a week to fully dissolve and show up on the test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm having the same issue. CYA was 35. I added 14 oz to a sock and put in in the skimmer. Its been over 2 weeks and I just retested and I'm getting virtually the same 35 which makes me wonder if I'm doing the test wrong, got bad product, or something else. I was expecting to get up to about 45-50 with what I added. Glad I'm not the only one.
    9,500 Gallons
    IG
    Plaster
    Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Navigator Pro Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I am switching brands and see what happens as I test based on the recommendations given.

Quote Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
    I'm having the same issue. CYA was 35. I added 14 oz to a sock and put in in the skimmer. Its been over 2 weeks and I just retested and I'm getting virtually the same 35 which makes me wonder if I'm doing the test wrong, got bad product, or something else. I was expecting to get up to about 45-50 with what I added. Glad I'm not the only one.

11. Back To Top    #11

What brand did the last 2 posters use with apparent sub optional results?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is a picture of the product. Brand is Splash.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What brand did the last 2 posters use with apparent sub optional results?