Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone used Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer? (CYA granules)

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Anyone used Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer? (CYA granules)

If so, have you seen a huge increase in CYA, over and above the instructions? Here's my story...

Earlier in the week, my pool would not register CYA. I could fill the tube until it runneth over, and I could always clearly see the dot. 20 was the lowest the test went, so I figured I was 10 if not lower.

Looking to slam, I needed stabilizer. I purchased the Clorox stabilizer at Lowe's.
    My pool is between 25,000 and 23,000 gallons. (The shop that installed my liner has me in the system at 25,000. However, when I do 16x32 feet, by 6 feet average depth, I come out at 23,000.)
    I added the stabilizer Thursday night. Friday morning my CYA was 60. This afternoon, it is registering at 80.
    It was a 4 lb jug of stabilizer. I put all 4 lbs in, directly sprinkled into the skimmer, per the instructions. Here is the math on the bottle:

Gallons to get... /+10 ppm / +15ppm / +30ppm
    4,000 / 5.3oz / 8 oz / 1 lb
    12,000 / 1 lb / 1.5 lb / 3 lbs
    16,000 / 1.2 lb / 2 lb / 4 lb

I am unsure if I am seeing a temporary boost, or if I really screwed this up. I was SLAMming using the calculation of 60. Now I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by tea; 08-22-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added slashes to better display of grid

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone used Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer? (CYA granules)

Start, using PoolMath. According to that, in a 24k pool, 4 pounds would have only added 20ppm of CYA. Absolutely no way it raised it 60ppm or 80ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That is odd. I used the calculator and determined that 4 lbs of stabilizer should raise your CYA by about 21 ppm. In addition, granular stabilizer when initially added, should not show-up on tests for a few days - not a full strength anyways. You don't have any tablets or pucks in use correct? You haven't added any other products to the waster other than regular liquid bleach?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

But there is no way my pool was at 60 ppm before I added it. (60 +20 = 80 that I see today?)
    It was not even testing to 20!

????

5. Back To Top    #5

The chemistry does not lie. One of the tests must have been wrong for some reason.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Correct, nothing but Great Value Bleach at 8.25%.

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay tea, well, take your time and try it again when you get a chance. If you haven't done this already, remember that after the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. Do it as much as you like just in case.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Remember that lighting really matters for this test - the recommendation is to do it outdoors, sun at your back, and with the viewing tube around waist level. If, by chance, you did the recent test in dimmer light, that could account for the dot disappearing sooner and giving you a false high result.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

I've experienced something similar with the Clorox CYA. However, the initial high readings weren't accurate as they came down to expected range within a few days.

15k gal IG plaster w/ water feature; 600 gal spa w/ spillway; Pentair VS+SVRS Pump; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Pentair MiniMax NT Heater; Rainbow Lifegard 320 In-Line Feeder (no idea what this does or how it works); Polaris 3900 Sport Cleaner (constantly on its side); Compool Lx3800 Control System; TFT-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Hello and Welcome to TFP,

I do in fact use that use that brand myself and have never had an issue with it getting higher than I was anticipating. As others have mentioned Pool Math calculations based on your pool size is your best option to know how much you need to add. Also Stabilizer should Never be poured directly into the skimmer (lol even though the instructs happen to say it). Here at TFP we recommend the stabilizer be added via the sock method, by placing the stabilizer in a sock, and hang it in front of your return jet to dissolve and disperse that way.
    Here is a link showing what the recommend sock method looks like. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47551-Adding-Stabilizer

Regardless of what has occurred to raise your numbers higher than you expected, you are in good hands and the members can help you get it straightened out. Have a wonderful day and again welcome to TFP.

Oh and I'm sorry about the weird sizes of my words my reply thing is doing some funky stuff this morning, but LOL see there that too just goes to show that even though we are putting things in correctly, things don't always end up like we expected them too. But we'll help you get it fixed.
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have also been using the Clorox CYA since lowes switched from Kemtek to Clorox, or Clorox bought Kemtek or whatever happened. If anything I have had trouble maintaining adequate CYA levels this year. Given that the Stabilizer is 98-100% cyanuric acid it is impossible for it to add more than Poolmath says.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach