Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does anything else raise CYA except dichlor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does anything else raise CYA except dichlor?

8/9/15 we added Dichlor to get our CYA level up since it had been about a month. Tested after a pump cycle and CYA was 37 (right between 35 and 40 on the tube). Today we did our weekly testing and I thought ok let me test it for giggles. We've only used 8.25% bleach since. It's at 50 and honestly, it's likely more like 53 or 54. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

There wouldn't be anything else that would raise that right? And oddly, we added about an inch of water right before testing today so I'd have thought that would lower it since I was "diluting" the water.
    -------------------------
    Jacuzzi J-385. New December 2014. 500 gallons, no ozonator. Has ClearRay system (if that matters).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does anything else raise CYA except dichlor?

Only dichlor, trichlor (which can be pucks, or sticks, or granules), or stabilizer (cyanuric acid) add CYA to the water.

If you did the tests in different lighting, that could affect the results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also if you use powdered CYA stabilizer it can take up to a week to register on the test.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Even if we can't figure out why you saw a rise, 50 ppm is not a problem. Just keeping using bleach after each soak. Eventually the CYA should drop at around 5 ppm per month due to chlorine slowly oxidizing it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Tests read in the same light (kitchen counter) and same time of day (so same sunlight coming in through the windows). Interesting about powdered stabilizer (which I assume is what I have since it's in the dichlor granules) but I also have kept a running total of dichlor added and the 37 CYA was about right for the amount of dichlor.

Guess I'll call it a mystery and use the bleach accordingly for the next 2 months or so and test the CYA once / month to see where things are at.
    -------------------------
    Jacuzzi J-385. New December 2014. 500 gallons, no ozonator. Has ClearRay system (if that matters).