New to pool chemistry

Jun 16, 2015
Alpharetta
I have a newly constructed pool with pebble finish (one week ago) and I am having difficulty understanding the proper pool chemistry. After running several tests, it indicates that I have a low total alkalinity (40). However, an acid demand test shows I need about 3 qt. of muriatic acid.

From what I've read adding sodium bicarbonate will raise the total alkalinity but the adding additional acid in conjunction with sodium bicarbonate seems counter intuitive.

Why would I need acid and sodium bicarbonate at the same time? Does this have anything to do with the newly curing pebble finish?

Yes to all of that.

It is important to keep your PH at 7.8 or lower at all times. Also, fairly important to keep your TA at 50-60. So, adding MA to lower PH and baking soda to raise TA is fine, even though it is a little counterintuitive. Enter all of your numbers in Poolmath and monitor your CSI score and be sure to keep it between -0.5 and +0.5. Is your CH above 250?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.