Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Cover Vs. Safety Cover

1. Back To Top    #1
    Nazareth PA

Winter Cover Vs. Safety Cover

I am sure this topic is thrown around a lot esp around this time of year when those in the NE are getting ready to close in a month. We just had an IG installed this year- 18x36 rectangular. I feel a little hung over by the amount of $$ we ended up spending (of course everything is more than what you think it will be). Anyway, we planned on getting a loop lock installed (mesh) primarily because it's cheaper than solid and I didn't want to have to pump stuff off the top. The quote for loop loc with install was $2400 which is a good price. I am just having a hard time shelling out more thousands now that we are done. I'd rather spend thousands in another couple years after I recover from this! So now I am starting to think about just doing a "winter cover" because it is so much cheaper. I am not thrilled with the looks of it but I have found some tan ones online that look more attractive.
    I'd appreciate any honest feedback on the topic. Thanks!
    18x36 IG Vinyl liner Pool. 25,000 gal. Installed June 2015. Salt Water Hayward Aquarite AQR9. DE filter- Hayward DE3620. Hayward Super Pump variable speed. Taylor K2006.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Winter Cover Vs. Safety Cover

With a winter cover they are not going to support as much snow load as a safety cover. We have had reports of winter covers being dragged into the pool by heavy snow and ice loads, even with multiple water bags weighing everything down. Hopefully people from your area will report in with their experiences.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    S.E. MI

Re: Winter Cover Vs. Safety Cover

We use the winter cover with water blocks and we get a lot of snow and I've never had a problem yet. You could spend a few hundred now and then in a few years when that covers starts falling apart just buy the safety one if you want

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)