Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to SLAM but ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to SLAM but ...

I need to SLAM my friends pool to get rid of algae (CYA had climbed too high due to tablet use), but the hardness is also very low. Should I adjust hardness first, or go ahead and SLAM?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to SLAM but ...

Can you post a full set of test results, and describe the pool, please?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of pool and how old? If it's vinyl, CH isn't a concern. If it's a new plaster pool, then maybe low CH is a concern but I'd still go ahead and SLAM first. Get the water clear and then worry about the other chemistry.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

Good questions posted above and we can help you better with that info. Your pool may or may not need it, but hardness is irrelevant to SLAM, as it has no bearing on that. If your Cya is high, it really should be lowered before you commence, so adjusting the hardness even if needed would be fruitless until that is done.

Do you have a proper test kit for SLAM?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Just wanted to apologize for the lack of info...I know better than that. Was just in a hurry. As it turns out, CH was not as low as I thought (must've been some erroneous test results) - it was at 180, so I proceeded to SLAM and will adjust later if needed. BTW, here is what I was working with (after he had replaced half of his water in his 30,000 gallon concrete pool):

FC/CC = 0
    CYA= 50
    alkalinity = 140
    pH = 7.6
    CH = 180

He ordered a Taylor 2006 and a bunch of 10% bleach, and we took care of it this weekend. As always, thanks for the guidance!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you already started your SLAM, then adjust the FC to 20 and keep it there. If you have not started, then lower pH to 7.2 first, then start the SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep the FC at 20 until all 3 SLAM criteria are passed. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

We did just that this weekend and it went great! The fun part comes when his pool guy shows up Tuesday and he sends him on his way. I won't even tell you what this guy was getting paid to grow algae!

8. Back To Top    #8

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I've been attempting to accomplish what a SLAM should without a text kit and lots of bleach. Whatever chemistry problems with the pool you have, you can fix over time. A pool filled with algae helps nothing.

Worrying about CH when you have an algae bloom is like worrying about the drape colors on the Titanic.
    Pool, 11000 Gallon Gunite Pool, shallow ( < 5' deep ) including spa. Hayward 1750 Cartridge Filter. Pump is a single speed 2 HP Hayward Northstar. Polaris Caretaker 5 Zone Floor System. Pool ~ 8 years old. TF-100 Test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

good deal, glad you have a friend that is open to a new way of handling his pool. hopefully he sticks with the TFP method. would have loved to have seen the look on the pool guy's face when he fired him, and if he told him he was going to just use bleach the guy probably rolled his eyes and told him he was an idiot

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_H View Post
    I've been attempting to accomplish what a SLAM should without a text kit and lots of bleach. Whatever chemistry problems with the pool you have, you can fix over time. A pool filled with algae helps nothing.

Worrying about CH when you have an algae bloom is like worrying about the drape colors on the Titanic.
    good luck with that, but you should buy the test kit and do it correctly. how on earth are you going to know you are finished 100%? and please don't say the pool store testing.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    good deal, glad you have a friend that is open to a new way of handling his pool. hopefully he sticks with the TFP method. would have loved to have seen the look on the pool guy's face when he fired him, and if he told him he was going to just use bleach the guy probably rolled his eyes and told him he was an idiot

- - - Updated - - -

good luck with that, but you should buy the test kit and do it correctly. how on earth are you going to know you are finished 100%? and please don't say the pool store testing.
    I won't. I won't know until I have a test kit. But I no longer have an algae bloom, so I know I'm closer.
    Pool, 11000 Gallon Gunite Pool, shallow ( < 5' deep ) including spa. Hayward 1750 Cartridge Filter. Pump is a single speed 2 HP Hayward Northstar. Polaris Caretaker 5 Zone Floor System. Pool ~ 8 years old. TF-100 Test Kit.