New Build - At 13 cents per KWH is Variable Speed Worth It

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
We are planning a Florida New Pool Build and had settled on the Pentair Intelliflow. We will have the Pentair SolarTouch Solar Control System.

• Pool will be 12,500 gallons
  • No spa
  • 2 Bubblers
  • 2 Sheers
  • Solar on 2nd story

A further research is leading me to believe that based on the cost of the pump and the cost of my electric rates, a variable speed may not pay itself back for a while? We know that most of the manufacturer comparison calculators are designed to show extreme savings / comparisons that are not real life....

So, do the other reasons listed below provide enough reason to spend the extra cash?
- Sound level is better on these because they can run at a lower speed most of the time
- Cool factor. Let's face it VS is the new thing and when someone asks what kind of pump I have variable speed is cooler
- Eco factor. Cost aside, it saves electricity and that is good for everyone and the environment.
- More flexibility in the control
- Claim is that filtering is better at low speeds
- Built in timer and thus I may not need a external timer? If this is a tru, might be able to same a little by not having a separate timer. Was not planning on a electronic color box anyway.
- On a $45 to $50k build, the difference is not worth fussing over

Thanks for looking. Isn't all of this part of the fun of a build or remodel. :)

For comparison sake:
2 speed Pentiar - $589
Amazon.com : Pentair 012518 WhisperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Up Rated Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

VS Pentair - $875
Amazon.com : Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Good post and good question. Simply from observation, it seems the "cool" factor overwhelms everyone and they purchase the VS (and love it)

Does it pay back reasonably well? Almost never at your electric rates. The other reasons you list can apply to a 2-speed as well.

However, at your next pool party, your analytical talk of ROI and cost anlysis will not hold a candle to, "Wow! Is that that new VS pump I've been hearing about?"

"Wow! Is that that new VS pump I've been hearing about?"

Yes, that is it. I was at my brother in-laws house recently and he has almost the same setup that we will in size, solar, electric rates, etc... . Now, he has a old single speed so he is seeing the monthly savings. But none of that was discussed. It was all along the same lines. "Hey take a look at my new variable speed pump and the new built in controller......".

I love mine, and we are cheaper than that around here. I am very happy I never listened to the "can't justify it for cost" crowd. I would not trade my VS for any other pump, but adding the small increase in price to my entire build was a no brainer for me. Having options is very nice. Now, if I can just keep the lightning off of it, all will be well. :lol:

I love mine, and we are cheaper than that around here. I am very happy I never listened to the "can't justify it for cost" crowd. I would not trade my VS for any other pump, but adding the small increase in price to my entire build was a no brainer for me. Having options is very nice. Now, if I can just keep the lightning off of it, all will be well. :lol:

Thanks, do you have a separate timer/controller or do you just use what is on the pump. All of the basic controllers seem to have timers built in.

We installed a VS pump two years ago and my average monthly savings have been over $45. We are able to run the pump at 1100rpm vs the 3250 rpm of the original pump. The ROI took two years but it was nice seeing the lower utility costs each month.

Good post and good question. Simply from observation, it seems the "cool" factor overwhelms everyone and they purchase the VS (and love it)

Does it pay back reasonably well? Almost never at your electric rates. The other reasons you list can apply to a 2-speed as well.

However, at your next pool party, your analytical talk of ROI and cost anlysis will not hold a candle to, "Wow! Is that that new VS pump I've been hearing about?"
+1

But if you go the VS route, make sure you get surge protection on the pump. You don't want your rather large investment to go up in a puff of smoke.

I am another VS pump lover. Having infinite control over water flow is handy. Our electric rate is 10.25c. We filter, skim and make chlorine at 1100 rpm and it uses 150 watts of electricity. I can run the pump 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month. And I often need to because we have lots of trees and I prefer to move leaves to the skimmer than to net them off the bottom. Emptying skimmer baskets every hour is a lot easier. We run our solar panels at 1950 rpm which uses 550 watts. They are very efficient and super quiet.

As others have said its more about the flexibility and how quiet the VS pumps are. Any savings are just a bonus. I have the Pentair Inteliflo 011018 and wouldn't give it up for anything. I run my new VS pump for many more hours than my old pump at a fraction of the energy cost, and I love how that makes the water sparkle. Filtering water for 18 hours a day really makes a difference....and it cost less. It ramps up its speed as needed for my solar and in floor cleaning system, and with a flow meter I can dial in just the right speed and flow for every function.

We love our IntelliFlo VS for all of the reasons stated above. We do not have solar heating (yet) but when we're ready to make that happen, it's nice to know our IntelliFlo will be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you do add solar, I recommend the Pentair SolarTouch controller. It cost about $250 for the kit which includes the digital control box, temp sensors (for both the panels and water), the solar control valve, and actuator. In other words, everything you need for solar except the plumbing and panels. It's a real bargain and it will interface with the VS pump perfectly. Just dial in your desired temp and when heat is called for and available, it opens the solar valve and ramps the pump speed up to the correct preset for solar. When done it closes the valve and returns the pump to the daily schedule.

When you do add solar, I recommend the Pentair SolarTouch controller. It cost about $250 for the kit which includes the digital control box, temp sensors (for both the panels and water), the solar control valve, and actuator. In other words, everything you need for solar except the plumbing and panels. It's a real bargain and it will interface with the VS pump perfectly. Just dial in your desired temp and when heat is called for and available, it opens the solar valve and ramps the pump speed up to the correct preset for solar. When done it closes the valve and returns the pump to the daily schedule.
That sounds perfect

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You will need either automation or a seperate timer to control the SWG. I personally don't know much about automation systems but I'm sure Pentair makes a controller that will do what you need. Without automation you don't have much control of that SWG's output, unlike the Hayward which gives you one percent output adjustments.

Last edited:
You will need either automation or a seperate timer to control the SWG. I personally don't know much about automation systems but I'm sure Pentair makes a controller that will do what you need. Without automation you don't have much control of that SWG's output, unlike the Hayward which gives you one percent output adjustments.

For Pentair, you'll need an IntelliTouch control panel. They can be configured in many different ways and even include all the drivers and logic for various heating sources (gas and solar).

For Pentair, you'll need an IntelliTouch control panel. They can be configured in many different ways and even include all the drivers and logic for various heating sources (gas and solar).

I believe the EasyTouch, which is priced between the SolarTouch and IntelliTouch series, can adequately handle a pool with SWG, solar, and even a pressure cleaner booster. When I've been pricing it out, the EasyTouch with SWCG packages are only a couple hundred more than buying the SWCG with power pack. Somebody chime in if I'm mistaken, because I'm close to ordering similar for our pool :)

As to the VS pump, I got one a few months ago and love it. At $0.18/kwh it will pay itself back in a few years *compared to the old single speed pump*; it will likely not pay back the extra cost over what a 2-speed would have cost/saved. But so what? How much are you spending on the pool build, and what other ~$200-300 (the delta from what I've seen between a 2-speed and VS pump) here or there conveniences have you chosen on the pool or in life? What if you get a 2-speed and it turns out Low is a bit too slow to skim properly, to pump to the solar, or to make the SWCG run, but High is noisier than you'd like? The flexibility of a VS pump when you're not 100% sure of what you need is a a big benefit to me.

Keep in mind, however, that most of us here touting them bought one, and so are biased by needing to rationalize our purchase :)

So all of the responses have caused me to review everything as a whole and see what the EasyTouch can offer and at what price points. My PB said he puts in a Intermatic power / control box but he has been willing to credit his cost if we want something else.

So here is what I have found.

--With a Pentair 520592 EasyTouch 4PSC-IC20 - Single Body (includes SCG integration & IC20 cell), solar valve and actuator. This all costing about $1,360.

--Buying the pieces separately: a SolarTouch, SWG with power box, Intermatic power center would cost about $1,675.

It appears that I can get the EasyTouch to control the SWG, Solar and Pump and possibly other actuators in the future if desired for almost $300 less. Even if it were even or a little more, it would probably be worth it to have one box vs 3 and the expansion possibilities.

Am I missing something in this? Seems like a no brainer.

Thanks for your help.

It is usually cheaper to buy the Easytouch bundle.

One more option. The Suntouch will also control pump, solar, SWG and a heater. It is about 400 bucks but the Intellichlor needs its own power source.

I originally mentioned the IntelliTouch system because you configure the power center with the options and power supplies you need (with perhaps some room to expand) as well as any wireless controls like the EasyTouch or the ScreenLogic systems. That way, everything you need, including the power supply to run the SWG, is all built into one single panel. No need to mount separate controls and power supplies. Just my opinion as I like the simplicity of it all being in one panel.

Good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.