Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can a person detect the difference between fc6 and fc4

1. Back To Top    #1

can a person detect the difference between fc6 and fc4

Had family swimming.
    Kids said "cool" but one adult said "too much chlorine" (did not know the fc level)

next day I let it drop from about fc6 to about fc4 and asked "how was the pool today?"
    she said "much better"

can some persons distinguish fc about 6 from fc about 4?

or...
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can a person detect the difference between fc6 and fc4

What is your CYA level?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry
    CYA about 30
    pH about 7.6
    TA about 80
    CH about 260
    water clear
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't think so, I never have. Sounds like you have an individual who is overly sensitive to chemicals at the most to me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your questioning was misleading as they expected you to fix it from their complaints the day before. The next time they complain, make a note to RAISE it up 2ppm that next day and then ask them "So yesterday was a little high... so how is the pool today?" I bet you'll get the same answer: "Much better"

BTW, if they are smelling chlorine I would bet there are CC's in there that they are noticing.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

If they were churning the water then they can volatilize the chlorine in it and yes a higher FC level at the same CYA level will smell a bit more, but chlorine has a "clean bleach" smell and not a "bad pool smell".
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had people ask if I have a salt water pool because I don't smell any chlorine. When in fact I had 8ppm FC with 45 CYA and no salt water.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

fc has no smell but tc will stink you out of the POOL

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

klynne - I think you meant CC in that last post...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

thank you; interesting

this AM fc5 cc0 pH7.7

is true the experiment was not a controlled experiment
    but a controlled experiment would be painful
    and finding penicillin was a fluke

today fc5 cc0 pH 7.7 so cc was probably 0 couple of days ago

I do get rather cavalier with bleach
    if fc is low, I just dump in a gallon not checking PoolMath, I could easily have some “high” values

I think I like the ideas of
    1) as per woodyp: some persons are more sensitive as biologic variation is enormous; wife can smell flowers a football field away whereas I must stick the flower up my nose
    2) as per chemgeek: there is a clean bleach smell vs CC smell; sometimes when air is heavy and I bend down to get a sample I get a whiff of bleach even tho cc0 and pool outdoors
    3) then as per both: person with sensitive smell churning the water and nose just out of the water could volatilize and smell a bit more “bleach”

I think I will stop just dumping a gal of bleach if fc a tad low; if suggested range is 2-6, add just enough to get to maybe 4; or maybe if fc is 3 and range is 2-6, don’t add any

but I suppose will have to check fc more often

thank you; interesting helpful
    Last edited by engrav; 08-22-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

11. Back To Top    #11

See the post in the thread Chlorine Odor Question. You need to get out of your head that chlorine has no smell. Of course it does. When you smell concentrated bleach or chlorinating liquid you are smelling chlorine, not chloramines or Combined Chlorine (CC). It's just that in still water one normally doesn't smell the chlorine in the water unless one gets very close to the water with no wind. Churning of the water will increase the rate of chlorine outgassing.

A lower FC/CYA ratio will outgas less chlorine so will smell less under the same conditions of water movement and wind.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    See the post in the thread Chlorine Odor Question. You need to get out of your head that chlorine has no smell. Of course it does. When you smell concentrated bleach or chlorinating liquid you are smelling chlorine, not chloramines or Combined Chlorine (CC). .
    ah er, tis already out of my mind as I said
    "I think I like the ideas of
    2) as per chemgeek: there is a clean bleach smell vs CC smell; sometimes when air is heavy and I bend down to get a sample I get a whiff of bleach even tho cc0 and pool outdoors"

but not out of all minds as above I read
    "fc has no smell but tc will stink you out of the POOL"

but odor post was interesting
    However, the above thresholds are for still water whereas churning the water to volatize the chlorine in the water can certainly get concentrations high enough in air that one can faintly smell the chlorine, mostly of hypochlorous acid.
    This business of "you can't smell chlorine" and "if you can smell chlorine, then it's really chloramine and you need to handle that in your pool" are extrapolated truths
    So too much chlorine isn't good either.
    Managing this using chlorine alone requires elevating the chlorine level at night when no one is in the pool

I think conclusion still holds, I should
    1) cease mindlessly dumping a gal if fc low, be more precise, use PoolMath and then
    2) add at night

thank you

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, the minimum FC/CYA ratio (7.5% for non-SWCG pools) that prevents algae growth is low enough that for most people they either don't notice the chlorine smell or it doesn't bother them. If you dose in the late afternoon or evening after you would be swimming or using the pool then the FC/CYA level will be lower during the day. If you really can't stand having the small level of chlorine smell you are having, then you'd have to use supplemental products to prevent algae growth and then target a lower FC/CYA level.

14. Back To Top    #14

I think I understand
    thank you, was helpful