Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground pool heaters

1. Back To Top    #1

Above ground pool heaters

What is the most recommend above ground heater for the winter?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Above ground pool heaters

If you mean natural gas, then Raypak is the best. The heater Su
    Ize will need to be based on the amount of gallons of your pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't think anyone uses one for winter, they shut the pools down and winterize. Heaters are just to supplement cooler weather, not cold.
    Maybe I am wrong, but have not heard one using one before.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking to get something that will heat the pool so we can swim in the colder months

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You will need at least a 400,000 BTU heater and run it and the pump full time (24/7) to keep it warm
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, here is my dilemma...
    Being in SK, Canada. I only have 3-4 months to enjoy my pool (it's small), minus any rainy days, which generally happen for 3 days not including the cloud covered days. My "DIY" solar solution works well (22*C, I'm happy) if I have sun for a few days (thin hose in coils + sub pump + solar cover... laugh if you must), but if I have 3 days of cloud and rain, I lose major heat (4*C) (expected because it is a vinyl AGP). It takes too long to reheat.

That said... I have been looking at an electric heater system, which is not recommended for vinyl pools, I'm on an acreage without access to natural gas, and I have no idea about heating my pool because it is year 2 that I have had it. This year, i have a 2 YO and he becomes blue after 20 min in 22*C water, so...
    I need help with choosing the best option for our situation.

I still consider myself a newbie; and am learning as I go... I have not found a thread that fits my dilemma. Please HELP!
    Intex 16'x48" round AG (5 061 gal); Intex Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (model 28677); Blue Wave 18-ft Round 8-mil Solar Blanket; Pool Blaster MAX Pool Cleaner; Taylor K-2006; Taylor K-1677 salt test; well water

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

If you don't have natural gas then a heat pump is your next best bet to supiliment your solar system. Propane is an option but will be expensive to run. Or you could invest in a large purpose built solar system they are much more effective than diy solar solutions.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chantjam View Post
    Ok, here is my dilemma...
    Being in SK, Canada. I only have 3-4 months to enjoy my pool (it's small), minus any rainy days, which generally happen for 3 days not including the cloud covered days. My "DIY" solar solution works well (22*C, I'm happy) if I have sun for a few days (thin hose in coils + sub pump + solar cover... laugh if you must), but if I have 3 days of cloud and rain, I lose major heat (4*C) (expected because it is a vinyl AGP). It takes too long to reheat.

That said... I have been looking at an electric heater system, which is not recommended for vinyl pools, I'm on an acreage without access to natural gas, and I have no idea about heating my pool because it is year 2 that I have had it. This year, i have a 2 YO and he becomes blue after 20 min in 22*C water, so...
    I need help with choosing the best option for our situation.

I still consider myself a newbie; and am learning as I go... I have not found a thread that fits my dilemma. Please HELP!
    I'm enjoying my pool and not looking forward to the winter months either. I'm thinking about buying a portable Intex spa and setting it up in my breezeway this winter. It's a lot less water to heat. I bet your two year old would love to play in some bubbles!
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha... he does love bubbles.
    Intex 16'x48" round AG (5 061 gal); Intex Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (model 28677); Blue Wave 18-ft Round 8-mil Solar Blanket; Pool Blaster MAX Pool Cleaner; Taylor K-2006; Taylor K-1677 salt test; well water

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by KazzyK810 View Post
    I'm enjoying my pool and not looking forward to the winter months either. I'm thinking about buying a portable Intex spa and setting it up in my breezeway this winter. It's a lot less water to heat. I bet your two year old would love to play in some bubbles!

We got one earlier this year and have really enjoyed it. But it's almost too hot to use it now, even after the sun goes down. Sitting outside in direct sun, I've seen it rise to as high as 108. The heater only goes to 104.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather, but I'm a bit dubious about its ability to keep the water hot once it gets really cold. It loses a couple of degrees per hour even now once you uncover it and turn the jets or bubbles on.

I may have to enclose it somehow this winter in order to help it maintain temperature.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    We got one earlier this year and have really enjoyed it. But it's almost too hot to use it now, even after the sun goes down. Sitting outside in direct sun, I've seen it rise to as high as 108. The heater only goes to 104.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather, but I'm a bit dubious about its ability to keep the water hot once it gets really cold. It loses a couple of degrees per hour even now once you uncover it and turn the jets or bubbles on.

I may have to enclose it somehow this winter in order to help it maintain temperature.
    Well, that's all it took to tip me over the edge from thinking to purchasing! I just ordered one! I went with the Coleman, because of color.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I read really good reviews of the Coleman. Let us know how it goes.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation