DE filter idea

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Last season 1 of our 8 grids had a tear so we replaced it. I think I remember another grid or 2 was poor/nearly torn/ small tear & knowing they all kind of go at once, we ordered, for this season, an entire new set of 8.

My idea, for the 1st & most dirty/debris cycle, use the old set up. When its due to be cleaned, I’ll remove it, put all the new ones in (& clean the old ones to see what can be saved for a future emergency & keep those in storage).

Good idea or no? I’m thinking it may be just because it was “adequate” last season, very small amount of DE going back in because of some very small tear(s).
Thanks

Are the old grids the originals from '92?? If this was a cartridge I'd say go for it, since there'd be no downside if there was a failure. However, if one of your grids were to rip suddenly you could get a pretty big plume of DE back into the pool. I don't know if the few months of extra life on the new ones is worth the risk. It wouldn't be a major catastrophe, but I don't see much upside since your pool is now perfectly in balance and grid friendly 100% of the time :-D

Not from 1992.
About 5-7 yrs old, 1 is 1 yr old.
They seem to last 5-7 yr in past (but now I know how to care for them).
I'll start w the new grids fore the reason you said "the few months of extra life on the new ones is worth the risk..."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.