Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing 120V pool light wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Repairing 120V pool light wiring

In a back yard project I am working on, I became overzealous and cut through the wires of one of my pool lights. Before I made this mistake, the pool wires (3-wire insulated and unique ground) ran approximately 30 ft to a J-box and then back to the GFI.

To repair, I was thinking of installing a new code-compliant (5ft away from edge 2ft above water level) JBox near the lamp side of the cut. I'd then run new 3-wire + ground to the original JBox.

Does anyone see any problems with this? All wire connections are above water and away from water.
    35k gal in-ground with spill over spa. 2hp shared pump. Polaris w/ booster. DE filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repairing 120V pool light wiring

I can not think of any reason that would not work. I am not 100% on if it would pass code, not sure why it would not though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hi Boiler. Yes, I have done this repair several times many times. It means digging up the conduit to install a new j-box, but way cheaper than a new light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for all of the replies. The conduit is going smoothly so far. The one hiccup I have is that the previous installation used AWG #10 solid wire for ground from the pool/lamp back to the original J-Box. For some reason, none of the big-boxes sell AWG #10 solid wire. #10 stranded - yep. #8 solid - yep. Does anyone know about stranded vs. solid. I've read about crimping terminals, etc. Anyone have any insight here? Thanks.
    35k gal in-ground with spill over spa. 2hp shared pump. Polaris w/ booster. DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You mentioned 3 conductor 120 volt and a "unique ground". That "unique ground" is part of the bonding system. Bonding is very different than grounding. Do a search here for bonding, I think someone wrote a good article on it.

I believe the bonding wire is required to be solid core, not stranded. The newer standard is #8 AWG solid core. Not that you need to replace all yours with #8, but if splicing a piece in, I think using #8 would be prudent.

Of course, checking the code for your specific locale might be the best first move.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

6. Back To Top    #6

The bare wire is a bonding wire and it shold connect all pieces of anything metal around the pool together. Its providing an equalized equipotential voltage gradient.
    Building code requires it to be #8 and it should not be connected to a ground rod. The wire should run continuously to all metal parts, such as Light J box, timer box, pump case, swg power center case, any transformer boxes, breaker box etc, which is within the vicinity of the pool.

That wire also runs completely around the pool and is connecting all of the rebar in the deck together.

Some pools are built so close to the hose, that even all of the aluminum window frames have to be bonded.

You can learn more about pool bonding and equipotential differences by googling it. Its interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerHorn View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. The conduit is going smoothly so far. The one hiccup I have is that the previous installation used AWG #10 solid wire for ground from the pool/lamp back to the original J-Box. For some reason, none of the big-boxes sell AWG #10 solid wire. #10 stranded - yep. #8 solid - yep. Does anyone know about stranded vs. solid. I've read about crimping terminals, etc. Anyone have any insight here? Thanks.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies!

It's strange that all of the green-wire ground is presently #10. It's probably due to the fact that the pool was installed 20 years ago and code might have been different then. I'll go for #8!

The original light wires were #14-3 enclosed in a black insulator. Given I am running these 3 wires from a J-box to another J-Box, would you run w/ an insulated 3-wire #14 or is 3 separate wires OK? I was advised by an electrician at a shop that 3 separate wires should be OK.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

3 separate #14 THWN wires are fine. The ground does need to be an insulated wire. The bonding wire can be spliced with a split bolt connector
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If the light niche is plastic the #8 green wire is attached inside the niche and is code. If you are installing new j-box just attach to one of the grounding lugs