Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much to water gunite?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much to water gunite?

We had our gunite sprayed today. Builder said to wait till tomorrow to water and only do once a day.

What is everyone's opinion on that?
    Build starting in Aug 2015, 115 ft perimeter 654 feet, IG gunite freeform with spa, 3 hp Pentair VS intelliflow
    520 sq feet Pentair cartridge, Pentair 400 heater, Polaris 280, SWG, travertine coping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much to water gunite?

Our instructions were 4-5 times a day for 5 days.

3. Back To Top    #3

Couple of times a day should be fine. More doesn't hurt. But, it is cold outside now! Only 92 or 93 today! brrrr
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

From what I heard is you want it as wet as possible to slow down the curing process.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

5. Back To Top    #5

Instills confidence that you builder seems to not agree with everyone else here

I agree I do not think you can hurt it with more frequent watering.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you think I have messed up not watering it yet? I will do 3-4 times
    Tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

No, it will be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I watered the heck out of ours, but were also talking 110F and single digit humidity, so I was out there every hour or so spraying the fresh shotcrete for the 5-6 days our builder said to do so. He installed a timed sprinkler which would run for 5min every hour, but the position on the edge resulted in areas that never got wet, so I took the hose to the whole thing just to be sure.

as others have said, you can't overwater it when it's curing. Good luck,
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm curious... If you can't overwater when it's curing, why is rain a concern for a concrete deck pour? Is the water only ok after the material is "set" a little?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    I'm curious... If you can't overwater when it's curing, why is rain a concern for a concrete deck pour? Is the water only ok after the material is "set" a little?
    On a deck you will always see the finish. So you want to have no rain until it sets up enough where the rain won't effect the finish. After the finish is setup rain is a good thing because the slower it cures the less likely you are to have problems later. For a pool shell the concrete isn't the finish the plaster is. Plus it is usually set before you water the first time. Pool shells are really thick and you want to try to have it cure evenly and slow. That is why you should water it to slow down the outer layers from curing faster than the core. Even though it is impossible to keep it perfect it prevents cracking hopefully. Rain can damage a shell too if it rains when they are actually shooting the pool and it dilutes the concrete before it sets.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build