Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, help with numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool, help with numbers

I was given the all clear to swim but want your opinion on my numbers.

Are these safe to swim in?

Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, help with numbers

Pool is 14,180 gallons
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure you can swim, but you don't want to stay there for long with those numbers.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Okie dokie, here we go:
    1 - Start soaking a sock with stabilizer per the calculator for a target ppm of 40 in our hot state. Once it dissolves, you won't see the increase for about a week in tests, but consider it 40.
    2 - You need to increase pH to at least 7.2 ASAP. See recommended chemicals link for assistance.
    3 - Increase FC only to about 2-3ppm for the first day or two until your CYA dissolves. Then increase to your target FC level based on the CYA chart

That should get you started. Later, if your pH drops again, you may need to increase TA slightly to help keep pH up but you can do that a little later if needed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Okie dokie, here we go:
    1 - Start soaking a sock with stabilizer per the calculator for a target ppm of 40 in our hot state. Once it dissolves, you won't see the increase for about a week in tests, but consider it 40.
    2 - You need to increase pH to at least 7.2 ASAP. See recommended chemicals link for assistance.
    3 - Increase FC only to about 2-3ppm for the first day or two until your CYA dissolves. Then increase to your target FC level based on the CYA chart

That should get you started. Later, if your pH drops again, you may need to increase TA slightly to help keep pH up but you can do that a little later if needed.
    I want to do all that so bad but I'm not able to do anything with the pool yet. I don't want to be out of warranty

6. Back To Top    #6

Right. Well then, once you make it past your warranty break-in period, hopefully all of these tests will make you better prepared. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Amanda, when my pool was filled, I tested the next day. I had about the same chlorine as you. So I sent my #'s to the guy who was in charge of my chemicals. I asked him if I should add some chlorine and how much. He texted back and told me almost identical to what Pool Math told me to do. I did that for a few days. From then on, he pretty much let me take care of the chemicals.

I was told also not to add any in the beginning, but I knew I didn't want to swim in it with that low FC. And I didn't want my plaster ruined. Did the plaster company give you a sheet of directions with the recommended levels of stuff?

Suz.

I got this idea from Wendy! She just acted like she was supposed to tell him the numbers and kept doing it, so he eventually saw that she knew what she was doing. He let her keep rolling! She's so smart!!!!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

She shouldn't raise the Cya immediately in a new finished pool. At least four or five days minimum before she starts brining it up.

The sun will get all your Chlorine everyday until then Amanda, but you should try not to let it get below 2-3 PPM. Shoot for five when you add, and do the best you can to maintain this, unless as Suz says, they give you some stricter parameters. Don't be surprised with anything they tell you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Did the pool guy put pucks in your chlorinator? or is he adding manually?
    My guy used chlorinator so FC gradually crept up, rather than dumping chlorine directly in pool.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

He's adding manually

I'll just let him do his thing for a bit

11. Back To Top    #11

How often is he visiting to dose? If it is not daily, he might allow you to add a little chlorine every day to keep it safe.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

The only thing that catches my eye here is the pH. With it low as it is, there's a possibility, that it may be some red eyes or something minor.
    With 0 CYA and 1ppm FC, the sanitation of the pool is fine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!