For anyone who does use Baq....do you use a sand or DE filter? Time for chlorine?

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

My water is not in good shape right now. When I brushed it today all these mold particles came up and are floating around. Pretty disgusting. The walls feel all slimey (or at least did before I brushed). So a question that arises is - should I go to a sand filter? IF I stay with Biguanide, many people have told me that Biguanide and DE are not a great combination, and that sand works much better. Or...if I convert back to chlorine, I suppose the cloudy water issues will no longer be an issue? I started with chlorine many years ago and don't recall having any problems with slime, etc. nor cloudy water. I went to Baq after having so much trouble with chlorine demand, then never went back to chlorine. But I am getting pretty tired of the constant battle.

Thanks for any advice,
Keith

Chemistry is your problem not filtration. You either need to use the baq recommended products to clean it up or switch to chlorine, using the TFPC method. I'm no expert on baq but I do know that we have many members come every year looking for help to convert to chlorine because they are tired of dealing with the baq issues. If you decide to convert to chlorine we will be happy to help.

Hey Keith, I know you have been fighting a few issues this season as well as putting up with TFP'ers trying to convince you to convert ;)

Zea is right, DE is the most thorough filtering media and if it were a filtering issue sand would not improve it. You need to kill the mold and whatever biological matter is causing the slimy feel. Whether you do that with baq chemicals or chlorine is up to you of course. I can only throw my support behind chlorine.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I am going to try a product called Aqua Finesse (pucks). I'm a bit leery of the disodium metasilicates that are in the product but there are testimonials that it does help greatly with the biofilm issues. And...am seriously considering the switch back to chlorine.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I am going to try a product called Aqua Finesse (pucks). I'm a bit leery of the disodium metasilicates that are in the product but there are testimonials that it does help greatly with the biofilm issues. And...am seriously considering the switch back to chlorine.

If you do switch back, there will be plenty of help here for you and I bet you'll be much happier with chlorine now that you know the TFP method!!

Good luck with the Aqua Finesse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do switch back, there will be plenty of help here for you and I bet you'll be much happier with chlorine now that you know the TFP method!!

Good luck with the Aqua Finesse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi JoyfulNoise,

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I really appreciate that. So far I have not heard back from the guy at the company that sells the AquaFinesse product. I had talked to him at length about a week ago but haven't heard back since. Not sure if that's a good sign or not!! I wouldn't go so far as to say I "know the TFP method". I have not delved too deeply into the whole conversion to chlorine and the maintenance involved with that since I'm not yet certain that is the direction I'm going, but I am starting to read and learn more about it. It does seem that there are advantages to liquid chlorine over the various sticks and pucks, etc. I even checked with my plasterer and he agrees with the use of liquid chlorine. So if I DO convert, which seems a likely possibility, I think I'll opt for liquid over the solid forms.

Keith

Hi JoyfulNoise,

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I really appreciate that. So far I have not heard back from the guy at the company that sells the AquaFinesse product. I had talked to him at length about a week ago but haven't heard back since. Not sure if that's a good sign or not!! I wouldn't go so far as to say I "know the TFP method". I have not delved too deeply into the whole conversion to chlorine and the maintenance involved with that since I'm not yet certain that is the direction I'm going, but I am starting to read and learn more about it. It does seem that there are advantages to liquid chlorine over the various sticks and pucks, etc. I even checked with my plasterer and he agrees with the use of liquid chlorine. So if I DO convert, which seems a likely possibility, I think I'll opt for liquid over the solid forms.

Keith

You're welcome.

Check out this thread by user JimIowa. I helped out on his thread (if by "help" one means being a cheerleader ;) ). His is an example of a Baqua-to-chlorine conversion that took a long time. What we eventually learned is that the CDX product can sometimes really mess up a conversion either by causing a huge chlorine demand to destroy it all OR, in the case of Jim Iowa's conversion, causing excessive cloudiness that would not clear. What finally worked for him, and not something that TFP typically recommends, was the one-time use of a flocculant to force the particulates to settle to the bottom so he could vacuum to waste. Now, this example is not meant in anyway to discourage you, but just to show you that Baq conversions can be tricky. However, there are also plenty of examples where the Baqua-to-chlorine conversion was completed without incident in a week's time. Since you have used the CDX products, I might expect a particulate issue BUT you also have a DE filter which is the best filtration method for fine particulates, so it may not be a problem for your pool.

Also, I totally agree with your current plan of just finishing out the year and closing the pool down. I'm sad you have to swim in yucky water, but I see no reason to drive yourself nuts trying to convert a pool you won't be swimming in for months. A more useful use of the time would be to study and read on the TFP forum all about the TFPC Method of pool care. Basically it boils down to this - testing your own water with a high quality, professional test kit to eliminate the random readings that can often be associated with pool store testing AND understanding what the chemicals are that you put into your pool and what effect they have on your water. That's really it.

This isn't about forcing people to use bleach or powders or salt-water chlorine generators or anything in particular. It's about knowing what chemicals will work the best for your pool. And the definition of what is "best" is this - whatever regimen of testing and chemical dosing that gets you crystal clear water and the least amount of trouble!

For example, your pool is a seasonal pool. Therefore, depending on how long your swim season is (pool open to pool close), it is entirely possible that you could use some solid forms of chlorine in your pool at least for a portion of the swim season and then switch over to liquid chlorine (bleach) to finish out the swim season. The only thing to be careful with regarding the solid chlorine chemicals is that they either add calcium along with the chlorine or stabilizer (cyanuric acid). Both of those can get too high and cause lots of problems. But, if you drain a good amount of water at every closing and open with some fresh fill water and/or have some rain dilution over the swim season, then it's not a very difficult task to manage those solid forms of chlorine. I, like many TFP practitioners, have a salt-water chlorine generator. I love it! It makes my pool care very boring. But it's not for everyone.

So spend some time on TFP and look over all the info. Think about it and ask any question you would like. Everyone here is super-nice and really just want to help as much as possible. If/when you're ready to ditch the Baquacil, you can count on many users to come right along side you and develop the best plan of attack for converting your pool. Then you too can have a very boring pool care routine :D

Cheers,
Matt

Keith,

Matt is correct, folks will be here to help should you choose to convert. Our main problem in helping you now is that so few (if any) of our members still use Baqua products. I wish we could be of more help.

For starters I'd like to ask this question........what does your water look like? The reason I ask is that during the Baqua conversion your pool will be off limits for a good week at least. Seeing that you're in PA I suspect you're coming close to closing time so if it's clear enough to swim I'd go ahead and hold off on converting until either the end of the season or preferable next Spring. This allows you to enjoy the last bit of swimming this year while the water is warm enough to use.

Thanks to all for the kind and helpful replies and suggestions! I really appreciate it. Actually, the water is absolutely beautiful...crystal clear ever since I have used my next to last dose of SoftSwim Assist (too bad they discontinued it) and have been doing a better job of monitoring the hydrogen peroxide level. I am loving it. I do see an occasional area of pink slime on part of the wall, but I go after it as soon as I see it. So obviously there is still slime and some mold present, but if I can't see it and the water looks great and I'm not cleaning the filter every week or so like I was prior to renovation, I'm a happy camper!!! Now, when the last dose of Assist is gone, that might be another story. I got a whole fall, winter, and part of spring to NOT have to worry about that though!! My big challenge right now is to try and get rid of the calcium deposits (or efflorescence..whatever it is) on the grout. I bought some Acid Magic and will see how that goes. That issue I DO want to take care of before closing.

Regards,
Keith

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.