So we had a DRY summer, didn't pay attention to water levels, pump ran dry, seemingly popped every O-ring in it. Took a while to fix everything (pump, valves, etc) and now I have a swampy green pool. Been using Chlorine from the big box store since I didn't get over to the pool store.
Just went to the pool store to get tested, and for the first time, I ignored there ever increasing chemical recommendation.
Stabilizer: 40 ( I presume CYA)
Total Dissolved Solids: 4000
I was terrified I was going to have really high CYA levels. They are recommending Phosphate Remover, I'm ignoring that for now.
Last night, vacuumed the pool as best I could (can't see a thing), raked, etc, pulled a bunch up. I do not have a test kit, but I will be back with a water sample on Sunday. I have been cleaning my filter multiple times/day as the water flow drops off... I thought I was getting somewhere, but now I realize that I'm not killing the algae, so filtering some out is meaningless.
I'm going to continuously add chlorine over the next 36 hours and see if I start to see some progress and improvement.